Railroad Forums 

• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1406979  by SST

After dropping the boat off for winter storage [7 months to go] I came back up Colby at Rt33 [MP413]. The last time I was there, the new signals were installed buy not in use. I was lucky to catch a WB and caught him at the new signals. The tower is gone but the concrete pedestal that the tower was attached to are still there.

After the train passed and as I crossed the track, you can see this the signal is still lit. Both upper and lower were solid red. The other set of signals were yellow over red [not in view].

#1424648  by charlie6017

Otto Vondrak wrote:Does anyone have an update on the 427-434 cutover?

-otto-
In a Facebook post, an engineer (Greg Lund) who works out of Buffalo for CSX said (along with some accompanied photos):
Probably the last week of a storied existence that probably started in a design shop at GRS in Rochester, NY, and came to life on the tracks of the NYC in the mid 1950's and before. The old GRS/ NYC searchlight signals in the Buffalo area will be gone soon. Get those pics NOW. taken 3/19/17.
That said, there's not a specific date stated within said post.

Charlie
 #1424707  by SST

My favorite spot to watch a train is Old Broadway which is right next to the Frontier Yard and track and crew change. From that vantage point, I can see the signals to the immediate west of me and a set of signals far to the east on the east side of the yard. I can always tell if a train is coming or going or not at all. But with these new signals, I'm wondering if they'll have the same visibility from that location. Signals are a great way to communicate to me what's going on. If they disappear from view, won't be as fun just sitting there waiting. Guess I'll find out next week.
 #1424735  by sd80mac

SST wrote:My favorite spot to watch a train is Old Broadway which is right next to the Frontier Yard and track and crew change. From that vantage point, I can see the signals to the immediate west of me and a set of signals far to the east on the east side of the yard. I can always tell if a train is coming or going or not at all. But with these new signals, I'm wondering if they'll have the same visibility from that location. Signals are a great way to communicate to me what's going on. If they disappear from view, won't be as fun just sitting there waiting. Guess I'll find out next week.

For you, you still have scanner... u have something to fall back on....

But for me, It sucks... Scanner doesn't do any good for me. I'm deaf. Death Vadar really sucks... I cant see the signals until I am right in front of them.. and several locations have the signals remain lighted 24 hrs.. that's sucks too.. I prefer dark signals over constant lighted. That way I know that train is coming when light comes on. I cant understand why CSX decided to have it constant lighted??? That would attract hunters to shoot at... That's why CR kept them off...
 #1424772  by C2629

Ken, hunters will shoot anything not just lighted signals. I've seen whistle posts, mileposts, battery boxes and more with bullet holes in them. Once out in KC there was a box with 27 bullet holes in it, and it was not thin metal, it was about a quarter inch thick. Someone shot it with a very powerful gun.
 #1424784  by ctclark1

sd80mac wrote:That's why CR kept them off...
I could be wrong on this but I think it was more a case of just not changing the electronics behind the system. Approach Lighting was, as I always understood it, from the days when remote signals would use large banks of batteries to operate, as such approach lighting them reduced battery drain. Again this is not from anything official but I'm fairly certain a lot of the current approach lighting was more due to the electronics already being in place and not messing with them. Since this is a full on replacement of everything and isn't really a necessary circuit (more electronics to mess up, added cost, etc) I can see why it wasn't added.

CPs were always on already, did they attract more "hunters" than approach-lit automatics?
 #1424817  by lvrr325

it's just a different rules system, CSX and predecessors had constant lighted signals from years ago. Conrail had approach lighting to save energy and increase bulb life. But with today's LED bulbs the energy use is lower and the life is much longer.

CSX phased it in in bits, after the wreck at CP-366 years ago that section got redone and got constant lighting before anyplace else. Without this forced upgrade who knows when they might have converted the rest.
 #1424821  by nick_anshant

lvrr325 wrote:it's just a different rules system, CSX and predecessors had constant lighted signals from years ago. Conrail had approach lighting to save energy and increase bulb life. But with today's LED bulbs the energy use is lower and the life is much longer.
CSX is not using LED signals in NY or really anywhere on the system, to my knowledge. It is their standard to have absolute signals steadily lit and permissive (intermediate) signals approach lit. I'm not sure why that is but it's their standard.

Nick
 #1424871  by sd80mac

ctclark1 wrote:CPs were always on already, did they attract more "hunters" than approach-lit automatics?
They were not always on during CR and CSX. CP 359 turns off when trains get off the block, like many other CP. There were very few ones that remain on but I cant recall where. I want to say one at west end of yard at Dewitt yard but I don't think so.

Angeola have one remain on all the time but they have different signal type (3 color lights instead of one light).

I was told by one of railroaders, but I cant recall which one, that hunters were mainly reason for keeping light off.
 #1424874  by sd80mac

C2629 wrote:Ken, hunters will shoot anything not just lighted signals. I've seen whistle posts, mileposts, battery boxes and more with bullet holes in them. Once out in KC there was a box with 27 bullet holes in it, and it was not thin metal, it was about a quarter inch thick. Someone shot it with a very powerful gun.
Of course... shooting at these, other than signal lights, would not affect operation of trains, except for that powerful gun shooting at shed which may had destroyed the wiring system. Good spot for hunters (not always hunters, sometimes bunch of kids or stupid young adults) to shoot out the constant lighted signals would be in middle of nowhere like montezona (sp) area that no one would hear the gunshots. But I hope no one has done that yet. eventually, they will one day, or better word, night. I have not been to that area since they replaced the signals.
 #1424892  by SST

I was just driving down Walden ave checking out the signals. There is a set of Vader singles that are lit but facing away from the track. This was at Walden ave where the industrial track crosses over. The search lights were also lit. No picture. It if somebody has a good camera this would be a good catch. iPhones at night are lousy. Some Vader lamps are turned towards the track but are covered with a black bag. Others are facing away but not covered. Pictures to follow.
 #1424918  by SST

This first picture was taken from the hanger line at the Lancaster Airport at Walden Ave and Pavement. These vader lights are just east of Pavement overpass and are facing the track. I couldn't tell if they were operational or not. I don't think they were covered either. First time I noticed a satellite dish. We are going tech!

This photo is the remaining search lights just a few feet east of Transit Rd.

These next two photos are just a couple hundred feet further east than the above. One close up and the other a full view. They are facing the track but are covered.

On my way to Old Broadway, I was stopped at the signal just west of the firehall where Broadway goes over Union Rd. I'm surprised the picture came out this good and I really had only a few seconds to get the picture.

On my way home, I decided to drive by the vader signals at the industrial track overpass on Walden. I took the picture anyways even though is isn't very good. If somebody else grabs a good picture I'll pull this one. For now its better than nothing. They are lit at the same time the search lights are lit. The search lights were all red except for two yellows while all the vader lights were red.

While sitting at Old Broadway and while using my binoculars I suddenly noticed [Its dark] a new set of signals just a few feet west of the Harlem Rd overpass. Looks like for track 1 and 2 only. This will be an interesting view from Old Broadway. Looking forward to it.

I saw several train movements in and out of Frontier. With all the ground based track signaling, what does Cobalt Blue steady and flashing mean? Same with yellow[orange?}