Railroad Forums 

• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1327344  by nick_anshant

There is a dedicated project between Cleveland and Buffalo. Cleveland Terminal has almost, or has completely, been upgraded in the last few years and CSX construction forces are working east from Cleveland. Any new signals you see from around MP QD 150 east to Buffalo are still using CR/NORAC signal rules and not the new CSX rules. The next few years will see a lot of change on the Erie West Subdivision.

Nick

MC6853 wrote:After taking a recent trip out west to Erie, PA and into Ohio, I have a question... How come there is a dedicated signal replacement project from Albany to Buffalo, but west of Buffalo there really isn't? In my travels that way earlier this month I found a number of new signals in place, but plenty of the older Type G lights were still in place too... Some places, such as CP-97 in Fairview, PA, have a mixture of new and old signals standing... Also, the new signals out that way don't seem to be following typical new CSX/SBD practice; the "new" auto 94 signals east of Fairview, for example, are labeled 941E and 942E per CR practice, not 948-1 and 948-2 or whatever the CSX designation would be... Also worth noting is the old gantry signals are still standing at auto 94, not having been lifted out with cranes and cut to pieces like the signal bridges have been...

My question is basically why is there not a dedicated signal replacement project out there on the old LS&MS main? Is there one planned, or will the signals out that way just keep being randomly replaced until they're all gone?
 #1327378  by scottychaos

Hey everyone, I was given a GRS signal! :)
Its the same type of signal that is on the New York Central signal bridges, and probably came off of one..but I have no way to know which one.
(its been out of service 5 to 10 years, possibly longer)
Now I would like to try to display the signal..I am looking for a bracket and a finial. please see the link, it has more details:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scotty ... oject.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks,
Scot
 #1330030  by SST

Scotty,
Thats pretty cool to acquire an item like that. Many years ago, I "acquired" severaly crossing signals. Only the telescoping portion of the signal with the red lens intact. These are from the Westshore but in the ditch. The guts of it was still attached to the bridge so I didn't touch those. Recently, I put a security solar powered lamp behind my last signal. It is very bright and lasts all night long. If I'm up during the night, I always look out the window.

The link below is the signal tower at 4132E at Crosby RD at Genesee ST [rt33]. I had just picked up my boat from storage and snapped the picture on my way home.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... llarog.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1332894  by Partlow P.O.

Dewitt yard in Syracuse had a signal replaced this weekend. I`m not up to speed on MP`s but the signal closest to the I-481 bridge for the northbound lanes was replaced sometime between Sunday morning 5/24 & Monday morning 5/25. When I passed over the bridge on Sunday morning the signal still stood, when I passed over on Monday morning it was sitting on the ground. I didn`t stop and take photo`s perhaps someone may have. Just wanted to share the info.
 #1332992  by nick_anshant

Partlow P.O. wrote:Dewitt yard in Syracuse had a signal replaced this weekend. I`m not up to speed on MP`s but the signal closest to the I-481 bridge for the northbound lanes was replaced sometime between Sunday morning 5/24 & Monday morning 5/25. When I passed over the bridge on Sunday morning the signal still stood, when I passed over on Monday morning it was sitting on the ground. I didn`t stop and take photo`s perhaps someone may have. Just wanted to share the info.

All remaining NYC searchlight signals in Syracuse were removed Sunday and Monday. There are now no NYC searchlights between Selkirk and Chili, nearly 250 miles of brand new signals in the last 4 years.

Nick
 #1333091  by CPSmith

Thank you, Nick, for the great info you've provided over the years. We all appreciate it, I'm sure.

In my younger, stupider days, I would "get the shot". Folks, don't try this at home ...

Here's a tidbit from May 1976 (Conrail + 1 month) at 373:
 #1333296  by nick_anshant

CPSmith wrote:Thank you, Nick, for the great info you've provided over the years. We all appreciate it, I'm sure.

In my younger, stupider days, I would "get the shot". Folks, don't try this at home ...

Here's a tidbit from May 1976 (Conrail + 1 month) at 373:

This is an awesome shot. Have any more from this area?

twropr wrote:In Syracuse, where there had been signal bridges to carry signals for more than two tracks, are the new signals on bridges or pedestals? Am thinking of CP 283, CP 286 and CP 291.
Andy
Andy, I'm not sure what you mean by "pedestals". The new signals at these locations are as follows.

CP 283
-WAS cantilever, all three tracks
-EAS bridge, all three tracks

CP 286
-WAS cantilever for Track 2, Track 1 and the Inbound, wayside signal for the North Runner
-EAS bridge, all four tracks

CP 291
-WAS cantilever, all three tracks
-EAS cantilever, both tracks
-SAS wayside signal

Nick
 #1333735  by RSD15

Who or what makes the decision on the type of signal equipment that is installed? For instance the new westbound AS signals at cp285 are a two track cantilever and two wayside signals and the westbounds at cp286 has a three track cantilever and one wayside. My question is, why not four track signal bridge at these locations?

Charles
 #1334792  by nick_anshant

RSD15 wrote:Who or what makes the decision on the type of signal equipment that is installed? For instance the new westbound AS signals at cp285 are a two track cantilever and two wayside signals and the westbounds at cp286 has a three track cantilever and one wayside. My question is, why not four track signal bridge at these locations?

Charles

Charles,

Generally speaking, wayside signals are preferred as they are cheaper and easier to install. At the WAS CP 285 the track centers would require around a 100' cross section for a signal bridge which would be expensive and a PITA to install. The Departure Yard Lead and the Signaled Siding have tight track centers here and to avoid any confusion with the Track 1 and Track 2 signals we elected for a cantilever. The track centers between Track 1 and Track 2 are rather far apart with plenty of real estate on both sides thus wayside signals were an easy option.

At the WAS CP 286 the existing signal bridge was a factor. When we install a cantilever we can erect it perpendicular to the tracks, wire and test all of the lamps ahead of time, and then simply turn the cantilever day of cutover in front of the existing bridge. In order to install a new signal bridge we would have had to do all of the wiring and testing day of cutover since we would have been obstructing the existing signals had we put the cross section up ahead of cutover. This is always an issue but especially when we do a cutover of this magnitude we need to have as much work done ahead of time as possible. Also, there is a drainage issue on the north side of the North Runner at CP 286 that would make a bridge or cantilever foundation questionable but the wayside signal a bit cleaner.

Nick
 #1343090  by MC6853

Another signal day gone... Searchlight signals at 384, 386, 392, 393, and 395 are all history... The Type G signals at 389 are still up (as of 1800 on 08/09) but turned 90 degrees with the number plates gone, and a CSX-owned crane is nearby at Route 19, so the smart money says they'll probably be gone in a day or two...

Does anyone know what the fate of the 374 and 376 bridges is? Will there be a plan in future to remove them or are they there to stay because of that power line?