Railroad Forums 

• CSX Service Bulletin - Anacostia Bridge Temporarily O.O.S.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#321703  by CB&Q Fan

Thanks for the update on the bridge

#321863  by NS212

I think instead of making repairs and replacing the supports, they should just rebuild the bridge all together. From seeing pictures of it, I don't think I'd feel very comfortable riding across that thing. Crews probably crossed their fingers every time they went over the bridge, praying they'd make it across in once piece. Luckily, the one train that spotted the problem made it over. CSX said they spotted the problem during routine inspection and maintenance when it was really a train that spotted the problem from what I've heard.

Kevin

#321871  by mmi16

NS212 wrote:They actually had a test run with Q171 last nite. Heard they were taking too long getting off and Amtrak became frustrated with them. Hmm there are several train rerouted up the NS to and from Hagerstown, two intermodals I think would be Q171 as 101 and I think Q174 as 106 now. Not too sure. Then there is an NS 105 which is a Q400 series train and a 108 which is Q416. Not sure of any more. These trains are rerouted all over the system both on NS and CSX.

Kevin
Trains are averaging 18 minute run time between CP Virginia (South entrance to WUT) and F Tower (North entrance to WUT) and are restricted by AMTRAK to 10 MPH. Trains are being piloted by AMTRAK Road Foremen of Engines.

The only reroute via Hagerstown NS at present is R415 Cumberland-Hagerstown NS - Glasgow Va and via James River Sub to Richmond.

Reroutes are causing congestion on all the corridors they are traveling as virtually all corridors in the rail industry are at or near capacity with their natural traffic, let alone reroute traffic.

#321893  by NS212

Well that would make R415 (NS 105) plus NS 101(Q171 or 173) which ran earlier today and NS 100 (Q174) which should be northbound out of Lynchburg by now all running down NS thru Hagerstown. And there is also the 106/108 which I think is Q416 that they have been running up the piedmont div on NS and up to Hagerstown. They ran him down the C&O yesterday evening due to NS not having any crews available. So there are currently 4 rerouted trains running via NS to Hagerstown. The intermodals I think stay on NS north out of Hagerstown and get on CSX somewhere in PA. While the freights get on and come off of CSX in Hagerstown.

#322100  by TheChessieCatLives

I am getting the unit trash trains through here going eastbound. I believe those are the R412 and the 414, but I'm just guessing as to which ones they are.

#322167  by COEN77

We are getting around 12-15+ reroutes east and west per day in to Richmond-Fulton Yard. They come out of Clifton Forge going down the James River and Rivanna Subdivisions on the old C&O line. Someone forgot to mention the Rivanna Sub which has a little more milage than the James River Sub. Most of these trains are being run by ID crews out of Clifton Forge with the overflow going to Rivanna and James River divisional freight pools. Things seem to be running smoothly out of Fulton three trainmasters around the clock coordinating things, no delays, the even put on a utilityman to expidite the process. Fulton is a busy place without this extra business we have trains coming in all directions off the C&O, SCL, and B&O Eastern going east, west, north, and south. I was actually impressed with how operations are being handled.

#322199  by CB&Q Fan

Is the Peidmont division the same one I have heard reffered to as the Roanoke division? Specifically, is this the line that runs north/south through Waynesboro, Elkton and up to Front Royal? Heading to the area for thanksgiving and wondering if I will see more traffic than normal.

#322262  by NS212

The route that runs up thru Roanoke-Waynesboro-Front Royal is the NS Hagerstown District of the Virginia Division. The line sees several mixed freights and one northbound intermodal Fri-Mon. Shenandoah, VA is the mid-point for the Hagerstown District, south of Shenandoah you will see trains 356/357, 35Q/36Q, 37Q/38Q, 15T/16T, 202, and some coal and grain extras plus a few locals, for the reroutes, there are two 104/105, which are I think Q415/Q416. If you go as far north as Front Royal, there is Riverton Junction where the Piedmont Division B-Line connects to the Hagerstown District. Here you can see the following: 203/204, 211/212, 213/214, 227/228, 24Q/25Q, 11R/12R, 35Q/36Q, 37Q/38Q, 15T/16T, 290, 202, V86/V87, V88, and P96. Plus the reroutes 104/105 and 100/101. And MANY extras. If you need help with anything else you can PM me and I can help you out as best as I can.

Kevin

#322265  by NS212

Correction on the Hagerstown District. The Roanoke District is Roanoke-Shenandoah and the Hagerstown District is Shenandoah-Hagerstown.

Kevin

#322513  by crazy_nip

CB&Q Fan wrote:Is the Peidmont division the same one I have heard reffered to as the Roanoke division? Specifically, is this the line that runs north/south through Waynesboro, Elkton and up to Front Royal? Heading to the area for thanksgiving and wondering if I will see more traffic than normal.
the piedmont division is ex-southern railway mainline from charlotte to washington DC and includes the branch known as the "b-line" from manassas to front royal where it crosses at grade with the ex-N&W line from roanoke to hagerstown

#323159  by COEN77

The Peidmont Subdivision goes from Richmond to Charlottesville it has been leased out to the Buckinghan Branch shortline along with the North Mountian Subdivision which goes from Charlottesville to Clifton Forge. Amtrak leaves Charlottesville on the Peidmont Sub entering the Washington Sub on the old Southern at Gordonsville, Va. I worked that line for many years running empty coal hoppers from Richmond to Charlottesville plus ID service from Richmond to Clifton Forge on both the Peidmont and North Mountian Subs. CSX still runs empties over both these subdivisions as part of the lease agreement with BBRR.

#323171  by CB&Q Fan

I have seen the empties many times on the north mountain main in Waynesboro many times, as well as a few manifest headed west. The original thought I had was if addition traffic was going to be re-routed up the NS roanoke line from the south up through Front Royal, and on to Hagerstown. I know of the 7 scheduled trains that use this line as well as the Waynesboro local. I was hoping to see additional traffic. It really does not matter because it is always a good day when you can be trackside. Happy Thanksgiving.

#323175  by COEN77

Go to Natural Bridge, Balcony Falls, Shores, or Bremo Bluff all that reroute business is going over the James River and Rivanna Subs. Why would NS get any of our business? This isn't the first time it's been rerouted in this direction this happened during the tunnel fire in Baltimore a few years ago. They cannot run these trains on the Peidmont or North Mountian Subs because there are no defect detectors and these trains do haul loaded tanks hazmats ect...

#323201  by CB&Q Fan

OK thanks

#323585  by TheChessieCatLives

Since these trains are heading to Columbus, Ohio anyway. Wouldn't it be a whole lot more sensible to have those cross the Ohio River at South Shore, Kentucky and proceed north from there? I think that would be a more direct route to Columbus.

I don't know if I'm correct on this. I saw one freight go by yesterday, I believe it was the R439, that had one pair of empty three set well cars going by here westbound an down.