Railroad Forums 

• CSX - SD60M's assigned to New York?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#662430  by MTASUPT

Q43115 on 4/15 brought two SD60m's to the CNE yard in Poughkeepsie to be measured by MN for clearances. Engine numbers 8759 and 8768
 #662453  by DutchRailnut

interesting, did not know the SD60m had Cabsignal & LSL.
I would be a bit late in game to install that now.
 #662504  by expbusop

Does this mean that SD40-2's are going to be phased out on Selkirk--Oak Point trains in the near future.
 #662729  by DogBert

I've heard rumors that the SD40s days are numbered in east of hudson trains. Last I heard months ago is that they were going to assign SD70s. I'm sure we'll see soon enough.
 #663724  by dlp1684

CSX wants to remove the sd40-2 from road service and use them in the yards.metro north inspected the sd60m yesterday but i don't know what the outcome was.my understanding is that they will be picked up by a northbound train and taken back to Selkirk before coming south on a road train.as with everything else on the railroad this can change from day to day.also keep an eye out for 4 gensets coming to oak point,no eta.

Dave
 #664647  by dlp1684

latest info i have is that the sd60m passed the metro north inspection on Thursday.its just a waiting game now.i was also told that the genset are or will be sent back to the manufacture for some work.it appears that they are too tall to come down to oak point.i guess it another summer without air conditioning.
 #664737  by Alcochaser

The CSX SD60M are former Conrail units which still should be fully equipped with LSL and PRR Cabsignals for use on the Boston Line and former PRR lines, which is 100% compatible with what Metro north uses. They have the standard HT-C trucks, and a have the later two window EMD wide nose cab. They probably did need a plow clip however.

The big thing is they use less fuel then an SD40-2 even though they have more tractive effort and horsepower.
 #665195  by DutchRailnut

Don't expect the SD60's on New Haven line, they simply do not fit under wire.
 #665361  by Ironman

The ex Conrail SD60M's are equipped with cab signals. The display in the cab is different from the newer units, but that is covered in the timetable.

They still lead on the B&A from time to time.
 #665574  by Jayjay1213

Is the wire on Metro Norths New Haven Line a different height then on the rest of the NEC? The SD60M/I's were and still are used all over the NEC south of NY.
 #665610  by C. J. Brooks

Though I cannot confirm for sure on the air-conditioning question, Q364 yesterday had an SD60I leading with all the doors and windows closed in 90 degree heat - thus my thinking is the crew either had a Herculean resistance to heat, or the unit had A/C.
 #665649  by danburybranch

Jayjay1213 wrote:Is the wire on Metro Norths New Haven Line a different height then on the rest of the NEC? The SD60M/I's were and still are used all over the NEC south of NY.
If I'm not mistaken the former Pennsy wire is indeed higher then the former New Haven. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact height difference.
 #665803  by dlp1684

the plan is for the b750 local to pick up the units tonight and bring them down to the west yard.this may or may not happen depending on their work load and metro north traffic thru the single track work area.i should know more tomorrow unless i actually get a day off.