Railroad Forums 

• CSX - SD60M's assigned to New York?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#665899  by CSX Conductor

Although I liked running the SD60's more than the newer junk, I'm sad to see the SD40-2's continuing to be phased out. When the GEVOs started coming out I was told that CSXT was trading in 2 SD40-2s for every 1 GEVO. :(
 #667216  by dlp1684

at last report,thursday,the sd60m pass all metro north inspections and were going back north to selkirk this weekend.still no info when they will be put into service.
 #668016  by dlp1684

the sd60m must have came down this weekend ,they where sitting in oak point yard this morning.they are also going to lead one of the north bound trains tonight along with several sd40-2 and gp38-2 that are going north to balance power and get repaired.
 #671466  by DogBert

Not sure if they've made it to the Bronx again but I haven't seen any roll to the NY&A interchange - and that run usually uses some of the road power that comes down the river. Still seeing nothing but Sd-40-2s... been poppin' off photos of them here and there knowing how limited their days are.
 #671622  by dlp1684

there's now at least 3 sd60m cleared for use on the Hudson line.some nights they are in matched pairs other nights they are mixed with 1 or 2 sd40-2.the 8763 came down last night.the sd60m's have not made a trip to fresh pond yet because management is worried about the extra weight even tough the mech. dept has cleared them to run over the hell gate.you will probably see them for the first time when that's all the power that's available at oak point,and that's almost happened several times this week.
 #671937  by Noel Weaver

dlp1684 wrote:there's now at least 3 sd60m cleared for use on the Hudson line.some nights they are in matched pairs other nights they are mixed with 1 or 2 sd40-2.the 8763 came down last night.the sd60m's have not made a trip to fresh pond yet because management is worried about the extra weight even tough the mech. dept has cleared them to run over the hell gate.you will probably see them for the first time when that's all the power that's available at oak point,and that's almost happened several times this week.
I can't believe that there could be any weight restrictions over Hell Gate Bridge at least in so far as locomotives are
concerned. The NHRR had the ex Virginian electric motors over that bridge and occasionally four of them on one train when
a power balancing move or disabled engine move was necessary. In addition the New Haven had two tracks over the
bridge to Fremont and Bay Ridge and trains often met on the bridge as well. We had a lot more than just one move a day
to and from Fremont.
Penn Central did not hesistate to run three six motor engines over the bridge as well during the early 70's.
If they are concerned over weight problems it is probably due to track conditions, maybe the line could use some track
work.
Noel Weaver
 #672052  by DogBert

nervous mgmt. for sure. The bridge is better kept now than in the PC days, track conditions don't seem as bad either. 60s seem to weigh a bit less than the 40s, at least according to some googling...
 #672104  by MNR's #1 Conductor

MTASUPT wrote:Q43115 on 4/15 brought two SD60m's to the CNE yard in Poughkeepsie to be measured by MN for clearances. Engine numbers 8759 and 8768
As of last Saturday, SD60Ms 8763 & 8764 were laid up in the yard at about 1700 hrs, more than likely the power for either the night's Q-703 or Q-430. Here are some shots I lucked out and caught!! And yes, I stalked these bad girls!!! :-D

I got more than a few more, but these I think illustrate more than good enough!! :-)

Nah..... I will add another!! :-D

And here is to the EMD legend.....the good ol' SD40-2!!!

And hey.....some good ol' Geeps too....GP38-2s!!

Hope you all like!! Oak Point is quite a good photo location!! NO TRESPASSING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! My photos were all done from public locations such as sidewalks and roadside, and the SD40-2 up close shots were done from a lot and sidewalk area alongside Bruckner Blvd. service road, also using much lens zoom!!!! DO NOT VENTURE ANYWHERE BEYOND THE FENCING!! NYPD and Amtrak PD patrol regularly, and they were around on this day!! Nothing was said to me, though I was watched!! Keep it legal and safe, folks!! If the law don't scare you from trespassing, I hope the thought of meeting your maker as the business end of one of these bad girls or the Amtrak bad girls will scare you!!
Last edited by MNR's #1 Conductor on Wed May 20, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #672662  by roadster

I had Q627 Dewitt to Buffalo on Sunday and returned to Dewitt NY with Q626 both trains were assigned 8759 and 8764. Both in YN3 paint and notched pilots and plows with the bright yellow outlining. Should be back in Selkirk by now.
 #673458  by MNR's #1 Conductor

FL9AC wrote:Those would be SD60M's...not SD70M's :wink: . Nice catch
Check again...the typo been corrected!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!! :)
 #673467  by MNR's #1 Conductor

dlp1684 wrote:the sd60m must have came down this weekend ,they where sitting in oak point yard this morning.they are also going to lead one of the north bound trains tonight along with several sd40-2 and gp38-2 that are going north to balance power and get repaired.
Usual suspect I always see on the Hudson Line when working it at night is Q-430 bringing them north, usually between 2200 and 0200. This train seems to be the engine haluers, with a mix of SD40-2s and GPs in the mix, and now a big shot SD60M on the point.