Railroad Forums 

• CSX SD40's Status

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1212204  by XC Tower

Are there any plans of more being rebuilt? Also, how successful was the SD40-3 rebuild program?

XC
 #1212614  by TotalLamer

Someone at work was telling me the Mechnical guy that designed the SD40-3 rebuild was fired because the program was such a failure. Something about sandblasting the prime movers during the rebuild process and leftover sand causing them to puke-n-die shortly thereafter. I dunno how accurate this is though.
 #1213341  by Backshophoss

IF the engine block was not checked for any remaining sand after sandblasting was done,the person doing the work is
"on the hook",there're plenty of tiny oil passages in an engine block that can be clogged. :(
 #1213381  by XC Tower

Sorry about the SD40 mistake, Scotty. You're right about it.
Is there a heavy overhall type of program that CSX has for the remaining SD40-2's? I've seeing some that look really clean with a new paint job complete with the "Boxcar" logo. Even the trucks look painted, complete with new bearings.........If I got its number right, the 8161 has been on the D751 and 752 lately, being an example of one of them, giving the example that CSX sees a role for the model...
My thanks to all for the information.

XC
 #1213443  by TotalLamer

XC Tower wrote:Sorry about the SD40 mistake, Scotty. You're right about it.
Is there a heavy overhall type of program that CSX has for the remaining SD40-2's? I've seeing some that look really clean with a new paint job complete with the "Boxcar" logo. Even the trucks look painted, complete with new bearings.........If I got its number right, the 8161 has been on the D751 and 752 lately, being an example of one of them, giving the example that CSX sees a role for the model...
My thanks to all for the information.

XC

I don't know if it's a "heavy refurb" exactly, but I actually had one of those you're talking about on an empty ethanol train the other day. Still a -2, not a -3, but with a fresh boxcar logo paintjob. Also had a few other things... brand new cab interior cladding, new air conditioning and the (currently empty) enclosure for the PTC control screen on the front wall above the Conductor's side window. Don't know what kind of mechanical once-over might have been done.