Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line double track project

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#31420  by LCJ

CP169 wrote:Hmm, I always thought the NYC main was known by a much more famous name "The Water Level Route".
Maybe for marketing purposes, but I've never seen that term used on internal documents such as ETTs.

The full phrase was "The Water Level Route -- You Can Sleep." Operating departments were not in favor of the second part of that for crews. :wink:

Let's see, CP169 -- isn't that Hoffmans? It's been a while, and when I was last there it was CP11.

#32133  by CP169

Can't say about back in 1952 but , today I don't believe there is tax on a railroad ticket(Amtrak). Could someone please correct if I'm wrong.
 #32237  by Schooltrain

You're probably right, unless there are taxes buried in the ticket price, sort of like an airline ticket.

There is no sales tax collected on board either. I asked about this once and was told it was because it's the Federal government operating the trains and the food service. Because their operation is interstate in nature, their sales are not considered as occurring in any one state.

#41868  by XBNSFer

The ex-NYC "Water Level Route" mainline into NYC is usually referred to as the "Hudson Line" as opposed to the "River Line" on the west shore of the same river.
 #42137  by ChiefTroll

In 1941 the Federal Government levied a 15% "wartime" excise tax on all railroad passenger fares. The proceeds went into the general fund.
The railroad industry finally succeeded in getting the tax repealed in 1962, and immediately raised nearly all fares by 15%.