Railroad Forums 

• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#574796  by CSX Conductor

Seniority is usually by your hire date. If you went for a physical before going to REDI, the time & date of your phsyical will be your seniority date. If more than one person has the same date & time the older person goes first, which stinks because that will haunt you til that older fart retires.
 #574802  by reesecsx

Thanks alot Man I start Sept and I know how important Seniority is on the Railroad we all took our physical the same time but i am the oldest so I guest being old sometimes come into effect once in a while. Thanks
 #574851  by COEN77

CSX Conductor wrote: If more than one person has the same date & time the older person goes first, which stinks because that will haunt you til that older fart retires.
One positive that old fart won't linger around as long as a young fart. :P
 #574882  by changed

When you get to REDI you will go to a orentation! At the orentation they will line you up by birth date then you will pick ping pong balls with numbers on them what number you draw is you seniority!
 #574942  by scooterz66

When I was there last year, the first day you go to the REDI is your seniority date. The oldest person with that date in the roster has the most seniority. Then it goes down according to age. IE the youngest get hosed. There was an instance in my group, 2 people were the same age and birthday. So they flipped a coin.
 #574985  by Ironman

It depends on what seniority district you hired out of. For people like myself, it was done the day we took our physical, before we even went to REDI. That went by birth date.

When we got to REDI, all the southren boys had to pick out of a hat. Twice. We all just watched
 #575264  by Jim Rockford

it depends on where your working and the contract agreement , C&O guys line up by birthday and then the oldest man picks a number out of a hat , thast your ranking,so if your the olders out of ten , you might pick number 10 and be at the back of the pack. i think that is the fairest way to do it. other divisions , just do it based on birthdays , haven't heard anything about pysical times.
 #575458  by CSXhopeful

different contracts different ways....Like Rockford said...

L&N,you draw for order to pick,then pick in order,what you get is your seniority..hence "the southern boys drew twice,we just watched" comment...The date of the physical is a new one on me..which agreement was that?
 #575736  by COEN77

Years ago it was the date of mark up. Quicker you got assigned that determined your seniority. So it was who raced to the crew caller and placed themselves if someone decided they needed a break they lost out. I know things are different today with this REDI center. Mabey seniority shouldn't be established till someone is promoted.
 #575742  by Ironman

I'm up here in the land of former Conrail. It's really by birth date, I mis-spoke. The date of our phyisical went by birth date, oldest first. But the day you took it is the day your seniority starts up here.
 #576028  by scooterz66

COEN77 wrote:Years ago it was the date of mark up. Quicker you got assigned that determined your seniority. So it was who raced to the crew caller and placed themselves if someone decided they needed a break they lost out. I know things are different today with this REDI center. Mabey seniority shouldn't be established till someone is promoted.
From what I hear, it was the unions. They wanted the seniority to start when you set foot on the property.
 #576151  by coal fielder

when we picked it varied by seniorty district. i am in c&o district and they lined us up by birthdate and we picked poker chips with numbers on them from a basket.
other divisions lined up from birthdate and drew a number for draw order then redrew for seniority.

other divisions where based from the time they took there physical.

really depends where you where from.

and yes this is recent.i picked on august 3.
 #576279  by biscuit

Just wondering if anyone else will be attending the REDI center October 26? i'm from indiana n just wantin to meet some people......excited for my new career!!