Railroad Forums 

• CSX radio frequencies

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#879482  by Espee9180

Here are some, not sure of the others:

160.62000: River Line Subdivision Dispatcher (also used for the Trenton Sub in NJ & PA).
160.65000: Dispatcher for the Bladwinsville Sub, Fulton Sub, Montreal Sub, and St. Lawrence Sub. Strange since those lines are up near Syracuse, NY.
160.80000: Road 1 - Boston, Berhshire, Post Road Subdivisions.
160.86000: Road 3 - Selkirk Yard Primary / Chicago Line.
160.89000: Dispatcher for the Fairgrounds Sub and Mohawk Sub. Again these lines are in the area of Syracuse.
160.98000: River Line Road (also used for the Trenton Sub as well).
161.07000: Road 2 - Hudson Subdivision / Oak Point Yard (Bronx).
 #879886  by csxjs

Thanks, i was curious why those frequencies were registered with the FCC there if only 160.980 and 160.620 are used in that area
 #882401  by boteman

I just found that interceptradio site this morning and it had some...shall we say interesting listings. I think they list a bunch of stuff that they have mined automagically, but it might not all be useful information.

You might compare notes with my CSX dispatcher table, although the northern and western reaches of CSX might have a lot of inaccuracies on it since I don't have good info on those areas. Feel free to send me any corrections and updates.

http://www.botecomm.com/bote/rail/csx_dispatchers.html

Happy holidays.

Bote
 #888945  by elitedubs

I've been listening to the CSX Albany area channels for about a year and a half now. I'm curious as too what NC stands for in NC dispatcher? Thanks.
 #888956  by boteman

Nothing in particular. It's just a code that identifies that dispatcher desk.

Over the past several years CSX restructured its dispatcher network to decentralize the dispatchers to five centers around their system. They located each center in the city of the division headquarters and renamed each dispatcher desk with the first letter of the code being the initial of the division name. So Huntington dispatcher desks start with "H", Florence division desks start with "F", and so on.

Atlanta was among the first and started with "A" so Albany starts with "N". That's about it.
 #889081  by elitedubs

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. Pretty interesting stuff. Does the "c" stand for anything?
 #889834  by NaDspr

elitedubs wrote:I've been listening to the CSX Albany area channels for about a year and a half now. I'm curious as too what NC stands for in NC dispatcher? Thanks.
The 2 letter designations do mean something. Here's a little background. Conrail at one time had 10 different dispatching desks on the Albany Division based in Selkirk. Each desk had a letter assigned to it but that was basically used for internal purposes such as dispatcher scheduling and job bids....Desk A, B, C, thru J. But over the radio they used geographical names. The A desk was the Boston Disaptcher, B desk was the Berkshire, C desk was the Hudson, etc.
When CSX came along, they wanted to change all this and eliminate the geographical names and replace them with 2 letter designations. All Albany Division desks were assigned the first letter "N" for Northern Region of CSX. Then the second letter was the letter that was known internally for each desk. Hence NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ.

Since all this relettering first took place, the NI and NJ desks have been combined and are known as the NI. The NH desk has been moved from Selkirk to Indianapolis, IN. So there are currently 8 desks in Selkirk. More desk consolidations upcoming before the month is out. Stay tuned.
 #889843  by boteman

NaDspr wrote:Since all this relettering first took place, the NI and NJ desks have been combined and are known as the NI. The NH desk has been moved from Selkirk to Indianapolis, IN. So there are currently 8 desks in Selkirk. More desk consolidations upcoming before the month is out. Stay tuned.
I remember the NI desk controlling the dinky Landover sub and also the Pope's Creek and Herbert subs in Maryland before I moved to Florida; even after I moved when I still had my railroad radio feed in D.C. That's interesting info about how the Conrail designators made it into the CSX era, I never knew that.

Please keep us updated on the changes that occur, as I would like to keep my CSX dispatcher table correct. I've received a lot of e-mails from various railfans thanking me for it, so it's nice to be able to contribute. Information from knowledgeable sources is the best kine.

Thanks in advance.
 #889845  by boteman

NaDspr wrote:Since all this relettering first took place, the NI and NJ desks have been combined and are known as the NI. The NH desk has been moved from Selkirk to Indianapolis, IN.
I understand that RailPace reported the NH desk was abolished in Albany when the Lake Shore sub was moved from the Albany to the Great Lakes division under the IH desk. Is this not the case?

Thanks.
 #890220  by NaDspr

boteman wrote:
NaDspr wrote:Since all this relettering first took place, the NI and NJ desks have been combined and are known as the NI. The NH desk has been moved from Selkirk to Indianapolis, IN.
I understand that RailPace reported the NH desk was abolished in Albany when the Lake Shore sub was moved from the Albany to the Great Lakes division under the IH desk. Is this not the case?

Thanks.
Yes, that is correct. Selkirk dispatchers were given some equity in the transfer of work from Selkirk to Indy and some people did move to Indy.
===
For your records, prior to CSX relettering all the 10 Albany division desks, they were known as the following: NA was Boston; NB was Berkshire; NC was Hudson; ND was Mohawk; NE was St. Lawrence; NF was Main Line; NG was Buffalo Terminal; NH was Lake Shore; NI was Trenton Line; NJ was River Line.
===
With the split up of Conrail between CSX and NS, 2 desks were transferred from Selkirk to the NS Harrisburg office (Delaware and Portage desks and the Souther Tier Chief) and 2 desks were moved from Mt. Laurel, NJ to Selkirk. They were the Trenton Line and River Line desks and Jersey Chief.