Railroad Forums 

• CSX OPERATIONS: TROPICANA "OJ" PLANT... in Trains

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#172366  by CSX Engineer 98

Hey,
I was wondering if Anybody could tell me What Issue of Trains Magazine had a Article of CSX's Opereations at Tropicana OJ Plant? I know it was sometime in the 90's If anybody knows or has the Issue I would really appriciate the Help.

Thanks

#172422  by GOLDEN-ARM

Which plant? Ft. Pierce, or Bradenton? :-)

#172473  by CSX Engineer 98

Bradenton Fl. .....Thanks Is Ft. Pierce in NJ. or Ohio I also know that it splits and the head section goes to Cinncinatti OH.

Thanks

#172502  by AmtrakFan

When did the Juice Train Start?

#172513  by GOLDEN-ARM

Ft Pierce, is in Florida. We have a giant juice plant here, as well (Indian River fruit, is where the juice comes from). The train here goes up to Jax, and is handed over to CSX, or NS, where eventually, it becomes part of the "Juice Train". I used to catch that job, from Philly, to Oak Island, while working the SEPY/PYSE pools out on NJCT. We used to think that was a cool job, with the different paint scheme (from CR blue) and those 5 chime horns. A pretty neat train, actually, and it was a "tight" train to run. We got pretty good treatment, on that train, and we moved along like a passenger train, with all other trains being held in the sidings, for us. Regards :wink:

#172556  by CSX Engineer 98

I believe the Juice Train is CSX most profitable train and # 2 in priority System wide. I have Been fortunite to have caught the Q170 on the Very first run from Selkirk NY to Worcester Ma. I believe it is #1 and a Very Hot UPS Train that origonates in California..? Never heard of the Ft. Pierce juice train..? Nice to learn something new for a change.

Do you know of a Trains Magazine Issue that features Tropicana OJ Operations? if so what Issue/Year Also interested in any Issue of Any Model Railroading Issue that fetures the same.

Thanks

#172592  by GOLDEN-ARM

I did see that article, and it was a late 80's, early 90's article. I will see if I have it, and if so, I will let you know. We used to have a train called "TVLA", that ran non-stop, from North Bergen, NJ to LA, CA. We used to make a crew change, at Selkirk yard, on the crossing by the hump, and we did it rolling. New crew in the front door, old crew out the back. THAT was a hotshot train, and we never stopped for anyone. Don't know what they call it now, or if it even still operates. Tropicana has 2 large plants in Florida. We are the east coast plant, here in Ft. Pierce, and the west coast plant is over there, outside of Bradenton, which is kind of a suburb of Tampa. The two lines meet in Jax, as the CSX runs the west coast traffic, and FEC handles it over here. Regards :wink:

#174625  by CSX Engineer 98

Thanks for the Imput...I found out it was in the March of 2000 issue of Trains Magazine. Would anybody have a copy they would like to sell or an extra copy. I would like to Model it in N or Ho scale.

Thanks again