Railroad Forums 

• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#13080  by Legio X

How would some kids be able to derail these loaded hoppers? Where did this happen?

#13235  by DogBert

Release the brakes, let it roll right off the end of the track....

#13316  by WIN Tower

perhaps i should have been a little more specific...does anybody know the schedule of the stone train between cedar hill and fresh pond all four moves ? loaded train from cedar hill to fresh pond , light engines from fresh pond to cedar hill , light engines from cedar hill to fresh pond , emp
ty train from fresh pond to cedar hill . the C.P. train crossed over the L.I.R.R. mainline northbound at 4:35p , two engines and sixteen cars .

#13366  by Legio X

So I guess it was CSX that crossed Hell Gate Bronx-bound earlier, around 1330?

#13422  by DogBert

yes. CSX at 1.30, crawling along with 2 SDs.

P&W just went south - very loud - crossing HG at 1AM. Didn't see if the NYA engines were in the train or not.

From what I know, P&W comes in around 12-1AM, then leaves first thing the next morning, usually around 9AM. Don't quote me on that just yet though ( I didn't live close enough to the line before to really know, these days though I'm close and working from home enough that I don't have a choice but to know).

#14380  by WIN Tower

the C.P. train crossed over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. northbound at 4:30p , two engines with twenty four cars . the last four cars were flats with M-1's aboard .

#15309  by emfinite

CSX came to Fresh Pond on Saturday, April 24 with 2 CSX and 2 Conrail SD40-2s with about 20-25 cars. This was around 11-1115 AM

#15323  by Legio X

12000 h.p. for 25 cars.....Why overpower a train? Were they going to go back Bronx-bound with a long train of empties?

#15367  by emfinite

There was a train on the trestle and I did not stay long enough to see if the engines took that train out, but I am guessing so...

#15390  by DogBert

If there seems to be too much power for one way of the trip, chances are they needed it for the other half of the trip...

I believe saturday's train was 3 Sd's and a Gp40. The SD's in CSX paint are all in their new darker paint scheme, whereas the GPs and B36s are in the older gray/blue/yellow nose scheme. Came back over hell gate around 2pm. Didn't count cars, but there seemed to be enough to justify all them engines (besides, I doubt they want to waste time splitting engines at oak point when they can drag them all along for the ride)

#15446  by emfinite

I only saw the train moving from behind the other cut of cars still on the trestle, so it was hard to tell if they were all SD40's.

#15597  by Scrap em All

When CSX runs from Selkirk to Oak Point they come down with 100 to 150+ cars every night. Half of that train comes to NYA the other half is for their Bronx customers. They usually run that train with 4 Sd's with occasionally their "yard" engines B-36 and GP-40's being shuttled back and forth between Selkirk and O.P. for service. The Fresh Pond turn usually needs 2 of any of their engines for the run, sometimes 3 if they come in with 80+ cars. But 4 engines means just two things, 1) They are to lazy to break em up, or 2) they turn all engines on the wye in Pond if the leading engine has a malfunction, so the good trailing unit will lead upstate overnight. That run needs the 4 engines because they have to get up to track speed pretty quick (50mph) on Metro North and be able to stay out of all regular trains way.

#15902  by DogBert

On second thought... I saw today's csx train from a distance and took a shot or two with the digital, upon zooming in it looks like the ends on it are longer, thus what I presumed to be a CSX gp40 may be an older csx sd40... so perhaps one has crept into the pool of hudson line power (which is a select group of engines with their plows cut for the MNCR 3rd rail) ? I'll try to get a better look at it if/when it comes back during the week.

Also, if it's raining or snowing, the run to FP & back can usually use 3 or 4 engines. I recall them stalling on the return trip with just 2 awhile back when the weather sucked. 2 more had to come from oak point to help out.

#16247  by Scrap em All

I been working the yard job for about 3 months and have not seen a GP-40 once yet in that time span. On second thought, I have not seen a GP-40 in Pond in well over two years. They are very rare in Pond, but you usually can see one or two in Oak Point while driving on I-95. All the variation in SD-40 paint schemes include Conrail. CSX's "bright 90's", and CSX "dark future". Last week I seen 3 SD40's, each one in a different mentioned scheme plus 1 B36 coupled to them.
For even more scarce CSX rarities, ones I have not seen in close to 5 years, CSX SW-1500, MP15AC, and a single GP-15 lurking between Selkirk and Pond. As we all know the B23-7's got retired 3 years ago. They used to be very common (3 to 5) engines a day, then they disappeared overnight. The SD-40 dominated since.

#16349  by emfinite

Saw a Conrail painted GP15 heading north through CP5 on the River Line last Saturday.