Railroad Forums 

• CSX-NS Connection Perryville

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#899663  by gprimr1

I noticed on a map CSX has a line from their main line to the NS Port road branch in Perryville. Do they often use this to interchange cars?
 #901785  by kevikens

I could be wrong about this but the last few times I have been in that area it looks like the right of way has been unused since the days of the B&O and the Pennsy.
 #901975  by mmi16

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, ConRail delivered upwards of 25000 cars a year of coal that was destined to the Curtis Bay Coal pier of the B&O (CSX). The loads were delivered to ConRails Mt.Vernon Yard in Baltimore that had a direct connection through NA Tower (North Avenue) on the B&O. The corresponding empties were returned to ConRail via the connection at Perryville (Aikin on the B&O). The official interchange point for both these movements was BayView (yards for both properties) in Baltimore. This movement stopped sometime during the 80's. I believe Mt.Vernon Yard has been removed and the Perryville connection remains in place but unused and unmaintained.

The connection was built at the time the B&O was replacing it's Susquehanna River Bridge in the early 20th Century, there was also a corresponding connection from PRR trackage to the B&O on the Havre de Grace side of the river. B&O maintained their operations during the construction of the 'new' bridge by use of these connections and trackage rights over the PRR's Susquehanna River bridge. I have no idea when the Havre de Grace connection was removed.