Railroad Forums 

• CSX Northern Branch

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1040029  by blocksignal

Good evening I would like to know what days and times CSX serves its customers on the Northern Branch? Also what customers now remain? Lastly where are the best vantage points to both railfan and photograph at on that line? Thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #1040202  by Chrisgr

C777 is M-F, only goes as far as Englewood now. Usually gets to Englewood around 8:30A.M. I think there is only three customers left on the Northern. Supreme Oil in Englewood, Colorite in RIdgefield and one in North Bergen. Between North Bergen and Englewood it's not the most photogenic line. Below some links to photo spots.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 296&nseq=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 424&nseq=1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 688&nseq=2
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 295&nseq=3
 #1041146  by blocksignal

Hey Chris thanks for the info. Just 2 more questions. 1) Does the local C777 go up to Englewood first to switch at that customer and then work their way back South to switch at the other 2 customers? And 2) How long are they up in Englewood? If I got their by say 9 AM would I still be able to catch them? Thanks.

BTW I believe the name of the customer located in North Bergen that you referred to is W.R. Grace. Does that sound right?

Blocksignal.
 #1041263  by Chrisgr

Every time I've seen the 777 it goes straight to Englewood. Figure on it being in Englewood at least 2 hours. It might be W.R. Grace.
 #1320862  by rscott417

I know most discussions of the northern branch here are about 2 years old and most costumers are no longer. I had some questions about a few of the customers I hope someone might have some info on. First w.r. grace, what product did they ship and/or receive in tank cars? Colorite, I know they receive plastic pellets in hoppers but what product was in the tank cars they received? Cove, I know they were a distribution warehouse but what did they ship and or receive? Also people don't realize it but ace hardware received an occasional boxcar when they were in the joining space where cove is. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
 #1320941  by waldwickrailfan

-Not sure on WR Grace
-Colorite gets some chemical in tank cars. I heard chlorine, but not 100% sure if thats true
-Cove was all lumber, as far as I know
 #1321014  by rscott417

Thanks for the reply, but I was under the impression cove got paper products not lumber. Well more like cardboard and cardboard containers etc. obviously I could be wrong that's why I'm asking.
 #1321037  by SemperFidelis

Not, by any means, to say you're wrong, for what you say may well be the case, but I think it was American Container that received paper and cardboard.
 #1321165  by rscott417

I never knew of American container, did they occupy that building the same time as Cove and what did they do there? If Cove was in the lumber business what did they ship/recieve lumber for and what type of lumber?
 #1321185  by SemperFidelis

Yeah, my bad, Weyerhauser owned American Container and produced cardboard boxes from its plant in Cresskill until the plant closed.

Coincidentally, my grandmother worked at a branch of the company which was aboard the old Lodi Branch. it was at the very end of the line and my mother used to enjoy watching the trains come in with massive rolls of paper aboard them. I think the site is a friggin' Walmart or some other such horrid place these days.
 #1346325  by rscott417

Drove over the NB on rt 46 in Pal Park yesterday and could see this transload dock and it had a boxcar spotted at it. I don't know the customer but at least there's signs of life left on the branch.
 #1346331  by granton junction

Just south of Demarest Ave in Englewood at the station a section of rail is pulled up, and there are ties across the tracks. So for sure there will be no trains going north of Englewood (as has been the case now for several years). I am guessing that this means that the line north of Englewood is officially 'out-of-service'. In the past I have seen CSX maintenance trucks and crews working at Demarest Ave, Hamilton Ave, and Hudson Ave in Englewood and in Closter. I am sure that this will no longer occur!
 #1346351  by ccutler

According to maps.google.com, the building next to it is "Delta Corrugated Paper." Since paper is heavy and does not lost much value if it takes forever for it to arrive, paper companies should be natural rail customers. So my guess is the neighboring business is the customer. Hopefully Delta is trying out rail service to become a bigger shipper in the future.
 #1346735  by Steve F45

there hasn't been a train north of there in a years. Plus that rail is newer looking rail and much heavier. I wondered if htey had done a crossing rehab or were planning on it.