Railroad Forums 

• CSX Northern Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1219788  by granton junction

CSX has not operated north of Palisade Ave in Englewood (at the salad oil factory) for several years. But recently I noticed a CSX maintenance truck further north near Englewood Hospital clearing the row of debris. I am guessing that since the line is not officially abandoned, minimal periodic maintenance must done on the line. Am I correct about this? Thanks.
 #1220050  by waldwickrailfan

granton junction wrote:CSX has not operated north of Palisade Ave in Englewood (at the salad oil factory) for several years. But recently I noticed a CSX maintenance truck further north near Englewood Hospital clearing the row of debris. I am guessing that since the line is not officially abandoned, minimal periodic maintenance must done on the line. Am I correct about this? Thanks.
Yes, the line is still in tact all the way up to the NY state line
 #1220150  by photorailfan

I noticed a pair of new cross bucks and lights at the fort lee road grade crossing in Leonia next to the old ones. They were further away from the track. Last I read, there was some agreement with the light rail ending in Englewood.
 #1220232  by Steve F45

Are the lights the cantilever type that were already there? They might be widening the road at the crossing since they just worked on Fort Lee by the County Park. They have had maintainers at the crossing all summer working on the electrical boxes.
 #1220312  by airman00

The section through Closter and going north towards NY is in very bad shape. In fact I noticed a small washout in Northvale. Also the line needs serious tree and brush removal. At this point I don't think you could run a train up north anymore it's that bad. (Although I was in cresskill today and that section looked basically ok)

All in all going north from englewood the line is pretty shot, it needs lots of tie replacement. Also I believe the line actually ends in New York State. I've seen the end of the line and they quite literally just cut it off where they did. No bumper or anything they just cut it and left it. Strange way to end the tracks as a train could in theory just roll right off the end.
 #1220366  by photorailfan

The crossing lights at the fort lee road grade crossing are the same as the old ones. They are not in operation yet. The old ones are still there.