Railroad Forums 

• CSX lines for sale / review

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1458118  by tree68

Vampire investors trying to wring every last cent out of CSX. If there's anything left of value when they get done, I'd be amazed.
 #1458367  by RMB357

Some reports say NS could be a possible suitor for the Boston line but with the current agreement with Pan Am ownership of the Patriot corridor not sure how that would all legally play out.
 #1458375  by sd80mac

RMB357 wrote:Some reports say NS could be a possible suitor for the Boston line but with the current agreement with Pan Am ownership of the Patriot corridor not sure how that would all legally play out.
I don't see how that is possible. Theres no connection on west end. I believe that CSX intended to sell that line for shortline to serve customers.

Amtrak probably wouldn't let NS or CP touch their connection from Troy to B&A. Or CSX letting NS to run through their line to get to B&A
 #1458379  by johnpbarlow

sd80mac wrote:
RMB357 wrote:Some reports say NS could be a possible suitor for the Boston line but with the current agreement with Pan Am ownership of the Patriot corridor not sure how that would all legally play out.
I don't see how that is possible. Theres no connection on west end. I believe that CSX intended to sell that line for shortline to serve customers.

Amtrak probably wouldn't let NS or CP touch their connection from Troy to B&A. Or CSX letting NS to run through their line to get to B&A

As far as I know, NS owns the track or RoW of the ex-D&H Albany main from Delanson to Voorheesville Jct, which is where the CSX Selkirk branch is. As I understand things, while the track is still in place from the spur that SMS uses to access North East Industrial Park at Guilderland up to the CSX main, the switch between the ex-D&H and CSX has been removed. But it certainly wouldn't be impossible to replace it. If NS were to gain ownership or access rights to the B&A via a re-instated Voorheesville connection, clearly CSX would need to give NS trackage rights from Voorheesville to CP-SK.

URL to Google Maps aerial the remaining east end of the ex-D&H Albany main (should be able to zoom in for detailed study):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Voorh ... 73.9287365
 #1458396  by sd80mac

johnpbarlow wrote:
sd80mac wrote:

As far as I know, NS owns the track or RoW of the ex-D&H Albany main from Delanson to Voorheesville Jct, which is where the CSX Selkirk branch is. As I understand things, while the track is still in place from the spur that SMS uses to access North East Industrial Park at Guilderland up to the CSX main, the switch between the ex-D&H and CSX has been removed. But it certainly wouldn't be impossible to replace it. If NS were to gain ownership or access rights to the B&A via a re-instated Voorheesville connection, clearly CSX would need to give NS trackage rights from Voorheesville to CP-SK.

URL to Google Maps aerial the remaining east end of the ex-D&H Albany main (should be able to zoom in for detailed study):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Voorh ... 73.9287365
I am pretty sure that CSX will NOT HAND OVER their businesses to NS... The way they let some of these lines go is to turn them over to shortlines and still have the businesses from customers on these when they interchange with CSX.. the lines are strategic cut off that no other competitors can take over. (I don't know nor am familiar with other lines somewhere else whether they have connections with other class 1 competitors..) Sand Patch ... I am not sure if it have any connections with NS or not...

Cin to Atlanta would definitely cross with many NS tracks.. I am wondering about that but since NS already have their own line from south to Ohio (Rat hole) so I DOUBT that NS will buy that... But they will if they have to prevent BNSF, UP, CP, KCS, or CN is dead serious buying that line.
 #1458400  by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:I am pretty sure that CSX will NOT HAND OVER their businesses to NS... The way they let some of these lines go is to turn them over to shortlines and still have the businesses from customers on these when they interchange with CSX.. the lines are strategic cut off that no other competitors can take over.
Agreed -especially in the case of the B&A. NS already has a toehold on New England. Foote and his henchmen are smart enough to not hand over a competing route which could potentially make NS the dominant Class I in that market. IMO, I don't think CSX will sell the B&A. Just as they supposedly studied Selkirk's hump and ultimately kept it, CSX will decide the B&A has enough strategic value to keep.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the Charlotte Runner gets the axe. Coal traffic is coming to an end (and may already be gone). The local traffic to Eastman Business Park could be handled by the R&S, which already has regular interchange with CSX at Goodman Street Yard. It is likely (based on a couple of sources) that CSX would sell the segment north of Ridge Road to the R&S if they stop using the Charlotte Runner.
 #1458428  by KenK

I know it hasn't been mentioned as a possible sale, but the Compromise and the Niagara Branches in Buffalo may also be on the block in the future.
 #1458435  by SecaucusJunction

I don't really see how they sell the B&A either, unless they come up with some sort of agreement with the state and still run over trackage rights. There is no other way for them to reach Boston so I wouldn't even see that being approved.
 #1458447  by Ironman

Look, you are all trying to apply old standards to a new reality. Everything you guys are saying makes sense framed in the old standards of what would be done before. I'm saying what is going on here is nothing like that, it's not about selling it to some other party and retaining trackage rights. I'm telling you current CSX management doesn't care about losing N.E. business, and that in fact they see the CSX presence in the area as a loss.

Everything east of Selkirk will be sold to the highest bidder, there are no deals or agreements or trackage rights. Selkirk yard will be downgraded to the flat switched yard they wanted as a result of all this, and it will be seen as a benefit to the EHH disciples. The new owners will fend for themselves, which of course means right to NS or CP.

The old CSX would never allow that, but todays CSX doesn't care about any of that
 #1458450  by Ironman

KenK wrote:I know it hasn't been mentioned as a possible sale, but the Compromise and the Niagara Branches in Buffalo may also be on the block in the future.
The Trains article mentioned it, I quote directly from the article "Branches and redundant trackage scattered around the system, including some in Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and New York." Specific line names are not being giving to the press, but we know what they are.