Railroad Forums 

• CSX letting INRR borrow 2 AC4400's in exchange for 5 SD40-2

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#119187  by B747

Indiana Railroad is leasing two CSX AC4400CW's for testing purposes. In return CSX is getting 5 of their SD40-2's for the Indianapolis-Cincinnati service lane.
Now I don't pretend to now all about the Indiana Railroad, but does this seem a little overkill to anyone but myself?

I've seen their track, and unless they have made significant improvements since 2002, I can't see these heavy, high horsepower loco's being of any real benifit, when a bunch of GP or SD-40's would do the trick.

Now don't get me wrong, the AC4400CW is by far my favorite, so one more paint scheme worn by her, would be great.

#119342  by crazy_nip

ac4400's arent made anymore, so the point is moot, if they wanted NEW AC units they have the choices of the GE ES44AC or the EMD SD70ACe. But they all perform about the same

yes, my first instinct would be that it does seem like it would be overkill for a shortline, but then again, I dont know a thing about them

#119344  by AmtrakFan

They do lease the NYSW SD70M's lest we forget.
 #119855  by thirdtrick

Is it a sign of the times that the CSX is so power-starved, they're horse-trading with the local shortline for SD40-2s?

That's just too weird, doesn't make any sense, even by CSX' bizarre standards.

I've never once seen a six-axle INRD engine, let alone 5 at one time. I don't know what the shortline plans to use them for, unless they're taking over the old B+O Main from Cincy to Indy next...

Saw all 5 heading East Wed nite. New paint job & all...
Last edited by thirdtrick on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#119883  by dti407

AmtrakFan wrote:They do lease the NYSW SD70M's lest we forget.
That would be the Indiana & Ohio that leases the NYS&W SD70M's and various other leased units.