Railroad Forums 

• CSX ion Chelsea, MA?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#298538  by theseaandalifesaver

i was really surprised when i saw a big freight train with a csx engine coming onto the newburyport line near the charlston chew building on my way home on a sunday morning. i didn't know some of those branches where still used.

where does the track go and what is it for?

#298566  by railohio

In what state?
 #298577  by GP40MC1118

That was B721 at Everett Junction. They are based at the New England Produce Center. The line, which is joint trackage with Guilford, also
runs down to the waterfront to a large scrapyard. GRS does not service
the produce market though and current only brings in scrap metals.

B721, which still refers to itself at BP-10 on the radio, works
Sunday through Thursday. Makes a round trip between NEP and
and Beacon Park Yard via the Grand Junction Branch.

Dave

#299253  by CSX Conductor

Goes to work @ 1000am on Sundays and 300pm Monday through Thursday. :wink:

#302143  by GP40MC 1116

Thats what i was seeing today at Sullivan Sq. I was doing some stuff for my internship over at the station, when I walked down to the platforms. Well I heard a engine comming, and saw ditch lights, so i say "well probably either a MBTA Commuter Rail train, or a special move like the Northside Work Train or maybie even BO-1, then i think to myslef. Wait a second, the Guilford power was parked over by BET at it's usual space. For the life of me I had no clue what was. Then to see a grey CSX engine come through.. really amazed me. NOw I know this photo isn't that good, but she or he was flying! I was just happy to find out their is more freight action than I knew in that area!
 #317503  by Skullitor

theseaandalifesaver wrote:i was really surprised when i saw a big freight train with a csx engine coming onto the newburyport line near the charlston chew building on my way home on a sunday morning. i didn't know some of those branches where still used.

Newburyport line is on the Eastern Division Main Line. That area is known as "Everett Junction".
 #317548  by GP40MC 1116

Skullitor wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:i was really surprised when i saw a big freight train with a csx engine coming onto the newburyport line near the charlston chew building on my way home on a sunday morning. i didn't know some of those branches where still used.

Newburyport line is on the Eastern Division Main Line. That area is known as "Everett Junction".
It's great, right behind my internship office site at the T Complex in Charelstown. Quite the action w CSX/Guilford,MBTA Commuter Rail and the Orange Line

#317654  by Engineer James

Never knew a freight to go through a major station.... looks good.

#317810  by CSX Conductor

Engineer James wrote:Never knew a freight to go through a major station.... looks good.
That's not a major station. Besides, most CSXT locals around Boston work on MBTA Commuter Rail and Amtrak lines, including during the rush hours commutes in some cases. I've had the pleasure of going through Amtrak's Southampton Street Yard as a detour a few times as well as going through their car wash with a few reefers, lol. :P

#320283  by Ron Newman

Sullivan is normally not a commuter rail stop at all, just an MBTA Orange Line stop. It has occasionally been pressed into service for commuter rail in emergencies.

But I've seen freight trains run through Porter Square, which is a major and busy commuter-rail station. (B&M/Guilford, not CSX)
Last edited by Ron Newman on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#320284  by GP40MC 1116

Ron Newman wrote:Sullivan is normally not a commuter rail stop at all, just an MBTA Orange Line stop. It has occasionally been pressed into service for commuter rail in emergencies.
Are you talking about Oak Grove as the emergency commuter rail stop? Oak Grove has a Commuter Rail platform, while Sullivan Sq does not

#320287  by Ron Newman

When the North Station drawbridge burned down about 20 years ago, I believe some commuter rail trains were temporarily terminated at Sullivan.
 #320487  by GP40MC1118

During the North Station outage, the evening rush hour featured a few
trains coming off the Valley Track at BET/FX Interlocking to Sullivan
and loading there. I know one of the Rockport Express trains (probably
131) loaded there.