Railroad Forums 

• CSX incident in Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#57043  by Railroaded

Spotted a CSX train stopped at Cloverbank for inspection (Westbound) this evening. It had just come through the city and destroyed the crossing at 3 Main on Exchange St. Asphault was flying everywhere. Looked to me like a derailment on the curve and then maybe it hit the rerailer at River Bridge since Lake Ave and Bayview Rd crossings were untouched? Anyone know exactly what happened?

-B in B

#57131  by videobruce

Wrong train,
It was the Ohio St. job coming back from Hamburg St. that derailed a car. The crossing wasn't "destroyed" just the flangeway on the south rail needs to be replaced.

#57515  by Railroaded

I spotted a CSX track crew reparing the switching into Hamburg St. yesterday.

There was damage to the asphault at Exchange street on the inside of the East rail and the outside of the West rail, but not as bad as it looked right after it happened, there was asphault laying everywhere that evening, but now that it's cleaned up, its not so bad.

I was wondering where the train actually derailed, and how did it get back on the tracks? Was it rerailed at River Bridge?

ALso, was that greaser device at exchange street damaged? How does that thing work anyway?

-B in B
Last edited by Railroaded on Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#57605  by MarkT

Someone mentioned Hamburg street.......is that spur just used to get paper to the Buffalo News? I've seen switchers usually with one box car, bit I can't believe one box car can give the News their daily requirement of paper. I don't think the News building can take more than one car at a time.

#57770  by videobruce

Now that the 'problem' was removed from this thread, I believe there needs to have some clarification of what exactly happened.

It was 393, not a Ohio St. job, the crossing wasn't "destroyed", but just damaged. The car was set out at CP15.

#57884  by Railroaded

A yard job coming up from Ohio St. Yard for the Buffalo News would take the River track to CP 2 and pick up 3 Main heading East (North by direction) and cross the Buffalo Creek on Main Line River Bridge (NYC). They would then pass the switch leading to the Hamburg St. Yard and continue to the Avenue Runner which splits from 3 Main at CP1 just East (South by direction) and then turns into the Chicago Street yard, parallel the Niagara Branch running between the Niagara Branch and the NYS Thruway. They then proceed into the Buffalo News with up to 3 cars at the dock. If they wanted to get to Hamburg Street, they would go back down the Avenue Runner, Back onto 3 Main to CP1 and then down the switch to Hamburg St. The Katherine St. runner comes off to the left and the Hamburg St. Yard is inbetween Great Lakes Paper and the ADM Standard Elevator.

-B in B