Railroad Forums 

• CSX in Middleborough, Mass

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#284623  by CSRR573

If you look down the tracks towards Brockton After the Holbrook stop on the middleborough MBTA line there is a short spur that goes into a industrial track. I remember that when Conrail was in town they went down there. Now a days i haven't seen a train go down there in a while. If they abandoned it I don't Know why because there is plenty of business down there. The reason im asking this is so i can take some pictures of CSX going down there. Any info Would be appriciated!

PS yes I know that i posted this in the MBTA forum but I thought i should put this in here too

#284795  by CSX Conductor

Are you referring to the Holbrook Industrial? If so, they do still go in there, but depends if they have a good time slot (window) on the commuter traffic. :wink:

#285288  by 130MM

I believe he is referring to the Garvey Siding just south of the Union St. crossing (facing point when headed south).

I haven't seen a car in there since the Old Colony opened in late '90's.

DAW

#285305  by CSX Conductor

That's another spot where we will be getting a new trash customer in November sipposedly. The old Beard & McGuire site.

#285363  by CSRR573

You are correct i was asking about ther Garvey spur!It will be interesting if the new garbage costumer will use the rails, If so i will be done there alot!

#285671  by Fogg1703

I have not seen a car on the Garvey siding in a while (2 years?). A countertop/cabinet maker was receiving boxcar loads of stock just beyond the switch. Beyond Garvey, it appears the bridge is in need of some pretty major repairs and I bet hasn't seen any cars in some time. The remaining tracks stop at a warehouse that at one time did something with aluminum cans, however not anymore. There are other various warehouses and Grant Steel in the park, however have not heard about the C+D business. Must be keeping this one quiet especially after all the trouble/fines/closures Champion City has endured. More trash on the Middleboro, sounds good to me, maybe time to invest in adding a track or two to Middleboro yard now that that brick co is using the MOW siding there.

Brian

#285751  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

since this is a middleboro discussion, this yard is down to just 2 GP40-2's, at least until Sunday night.....Framingham needed more engines so B725(Framingham---Attleboro) took 2 units from B726 (Middleboro---Attleboro)

#286104  by GeepDude

Garvey would occaisionally recieve Loads of plywood, but I too have not seen anything on their siding in over a year now. Wow another transfer station? Seems to me this line generates a lot of traffic. Don't get to see many other freights besides this one. Are there any other csx locals in this part of the state that handle longer trains than this line? The train is always made up of a slew of trash gons, and tankers to and from the shipyard.

#286272  by CSX Conductor

B729 is definately the largest local in the area other than B726 & B725. The difference between B729 & the other two I mentioned is that B729 is all customer work, whereas B726 & B725 are more like "feeders". B726 brings all the Selkirks to Attleboro where it interchanges with B725 which carries cars for the Cape between Attleboro & Framingham. :wink:

#290339  by Fogg1703

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but as I was driving by Middleboro yard today I noticed they finally hired a contractor to empty the buckled SRAX C+D gon that has been sitting in the yard for weeks. I was wondering if CSX charges C+D loads by weight or carload? Seems that most C+D cars going thru Middleboro are full to the gills and I suspect the tightly packing jobs of the excavator buckets crippled the EX BN SRAX car. Which brings up another question. Are these cars loaded full to the top without regard for load limits? If load limits are followed, it must be a guessing game for the loading crews as to what the C+D is made up of, water content etc.. in order to not exceed the load limit. Any insight would be appreciated.

Brian