Railroad Forums 

• CSX in Alexandria Virginia

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1067266  by drcrf93

Hello,
I am going to be staying in Alexandria VA for a couple of days next week and the place I will be staying is very close to the Amtrak Station. I am just wondering approximately how many CSX freights pass through there each day/night? I understand there is heavy passenger traffic through there so I intend to catch some of that but would really enjoy catching some freight.
Also - I do have a scanner - which frequencies does CSX use in that area?

Thanks in advance!
 #1072604  by gprimr1

The main line north-south is the ex RF&P and that should be 161.55000.

It's a pretty busy line. Lots of CSX, Amtrak, VRE and if your lucky, NS might be rumbling around if Mirant is still open.

If you have a car, head up the GW Parkway to Gravely Point Park and you can see trains crossing the Potomac River. You'll also get treated to a parade of turbofan engines as Gravey point overlooks the main runway of Reagan National.
 #1075677  by drcrf93

gprimr1 wrote:The main line north-south is the ex RF&P and that should be 161.55000.

It's a pretty busy line. Lots of CSX, Amtrak, VRE and if your lucky, NS might be rumbling around if Mirant is still open.

If you have a car, head up the GW Parkway to Gravely Point Park and you can see trains crossing the Potomac River. You'll also get treated to a parade of turbofan engines as Gravey point overlooks the main runway of Reagan National.
Thanks for the response! I stayed very close to the station and was able to catch several CSX freights along with the expected Amtrak & VRE. Quite a busy place! Thanks as well for the scanner frequency!