Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#514479  by cowboy385

Hello,
on march 11 I went for the hiring session for CSX conductor position out of Erwin TN. CSX told me that if I was selected to go for to a drug test and physical I would find out in two weeks. Well for once in my life the good news came early two day later not two weeks. I am setting up my appiontment and hopefully after two years and $4500 lost to AMDG I am finally going to get to be a conductor at CSX. How hard is the strength test? THANK GOD I CAN SEE THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#514557  by changed

I took the strenght test about 6 weeks ago. I think all they are looking for is to see if you have any knee or shoulder injuries not really how strong you are. They strap you in a machine and you will lift with 1 arm 5 reps rest 30seconds then 5 reps. The weight depends on you give it all you got every rep the easier you pull the easier it is to pull harder you pull harder it is to pull so liek I said give it all you got. You will do both arms like that. Then they will do your legs one at a time same thing give it all you got!! They should give you 1 practice rep to get a feel for the machine!! GOOD LUCK!!!
 #514558  by Mine Run

Congratulations, I don't know exactly what the strength test involves. I would assume that you'll have to be able to pick up and insert a knuckle.

There have been quite a few new hires in Erwin. A little advice; don't go into heavy debt for a while. There were several cut-off for over a year in Erwin and are just now getting back to work. Be prepared for a lot of frustration, marked up & cut off for a while, it's very irregular.

I don't mean to throw cold water on you, just be prepared. But, if you can hang on for a couple of years you should be able to work regular. Good luck !!!

#514577  by gp80mac

RUN!!!!

Run now before its too late!!!!

#514723  by turkeyhunter

Have you gave up on getting your money back from AMDG? They have my money, too. I am getting a attorney.
 #514985  by cowboy385

The day I went to the CSX interview I talked to another guy that was interviewing for conductor and found that he had relatives in Atlanta and that they had went by AMDG. He said that the place was a ghost town, and that he had talked to a lawyer and that there really wasn't much he could do if he couldn't find the people at AMDG. I talked to PAM SCHUBERT the secertary for AMDG about three months ago and she said that she would send me some paper to fill out and that if I filled them out and signed them and sent them back I would be refund in 8 weeks well I got the papers filled them out signed them and sent them back. I waited 9 weeks no check in the mail. So I called Pam back she told me that she had reiceved the papers but she didn't know why I had not been refunded she them told me that I would have to e-mail LANCE DUNCAN the owner of AMDG. Well I did and he e-mailed me back and said he would look into it and get back to me I have not heard a word and I have e-mailed him again four or five times. Now I can't even get ahold of PAM. So I am going to get threw my conductor training and them I am going to try to find all the people or as many as possible and start a class action law suit it would be cheaper for everyone and we would have much more power. Hope this helps
 #515068  by CSXhopeful

I sent AMDG my paperwork return receipt certified,and no one would sign for it..So I sent it delivery confirmation...I paid cash :(

Talked to Pam Shubert myself...No response to several phone calls or e-mails...

Congrats on getting your Job brother...I'll start a AMDG ripoff thread...

#515079  by changed

what is AMDG?
 #515449  by ClinchfieldRR

I think AMGD is a school for conductor training when they were requiring the 5 week class. I actually got into the conductor school up in Cincinnati a few years back and decided not to persue the railroad career for personal reasons. Hey cowboy 385, where did you go for your Erwin meeting with CSX?? Did they give you the reading test and color blind test??
 #515495  by cowboy385

They had it in a hotel in Johnson City TN. There were 12 applied and 10 that passed the reading test me included there wasn't a color blind test yet. I am scheduled for a physical and drug screening and I am also scheduled for a strenght and mobility test. AMDG is a well was a community college that u were required to apply for get accepted to and then pay $4500 for class it was i believe 6 weeks that uste to be the only way CSX would look at you and that didn't garentee you were getting a job. They went out of business when CSX decided to start training in house so alot of people that had payed the money lost it including my-self. All I know to say is if you are thinking about trying to get a job for the railroad u have to make a decision and never quit trying. This job is not just going to fall into your lap. You have to a clean record clean hair and piss test good job history example I was a deputy and before that I was a EMT and really helps if you know someone. and Let me tell you if you give up on the first drop of a hat the railroad is not for you. I haven't even went to redi and it has been two years partly AMDG's fault. From what I have learned so far and more experienced railroaders may explain better the first 2 to 3 years are the hardest. Erwin is a small yard so there isn't alot of fast moving senority so more than likely I will be furloughed/layed off from dec to march for more than or likely the next two to three years and all your working is the extra board they do have a garentee thow but its on call 24/7 365. and after I get senority then it gets alot better. Like a good friend of mine said that works for CSX the first few years are hard but when you get threw them this will be the best job you could ever have. And I told him if I have to sweep floors and clean toilets for 3 years then that is what I will do. Because the rail road is the best thing I got.
 #515577  by ClinchfieldRR

I am surprised only 12 people applied for the Erwin conductor posting. Seems like there would be more applicants. As I told you I am surprised you had to pay up front at AMDG.
 #515580  by cowboy385

AMDG made you pay up front because they said in the past when it was time to call students in to start class there would be people that were unable to come up with the money like they said they would. Everyone at the interview was suprised there was only 12 people at the interview. The reason I believe was is that CSX messed up and set 2 hiring sessions for 2 different jobs at the same time and day but at two different hotels. One was for utility work and the other of course was Conductor. Conductor had 5 positions and utility worker had 3 positions. Utility workers never get layed off so I guess they figured they would rather go to that interview, and the most the I have ever seen invite to a hiring sessions is 28 people. Well everyone had put in for both positions so when the day came the top 28 applicants that had been selected for conductor and utility work to interview were mostly the same people. so if you had a 50/50 split that would be 14 that went to the utilty worker and 14 for conductor and I had been to a pervious sheet metal worker interview and I talked to 7 people and they were already CSX carman trying to transfer out of heavy division to the diesel shop so you know they had first dibs on the jobs. And they were wanting to tranfer due to the carman being layed off alot sorry to write so much got carried away.
 #518383  by DkKnight

Question for anyone hired out by CSX.
How do they notify for physical after the interview - email, mail or phone??
Thanks,

DK
 #518402  by Tator2008

DkKnight wrote:Question for anyone hired out by CSX.
How do they notify for physical after the interview - email, mail or phone??
Thanks,

DK
Mine was Via-Phone--the day they gave me the job offer.

#518405  by DkKnight

Thanks Tator