Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1223610  by rtmason7

Hi all.

I have just been invited to a hiring session in Augusta on October 31st for the position of Conductor. This is after about 20 applications. Finally I get a shot! Woo-hooo!

Questions to all:
1. I've read a lot about furloughs directly after "marking up" or qualifying. I know this is region/station dependent. Would anyone know the potential for furloughs in Augusta?
2. The company "hotels" on the rail where crews can bed down and eat. Are they pretty decent facilities? Are the rooms singles or shared?
3. I understand the "test" one takes at the hiring session is the same as the one I took when I applied for the job. Is this a fact?
4. Is there anyone else going for this particular hiring session?
5. Has anyone been to more than one hiring session and finally broke through and was hired? What did you do different?
6. What is the turnaround time from getting offered a position to a class start date at REDI in Atlanta?

I am looking forward to this opportunity with great enthusiasm. I just finished 9 years of active duty service with the Army just 3 weeks ago, and I know this environment would be a seamless transition. I hope to follow this post up with some good news.
 #1223751  by trekker

rtmason7 wrote:Hi all.

I have just been invited to a hiring session in Augusta on October 31st for the position of Conductor. This is after about 20 applications. Finally I get a shot! Woo-hooo!

Questions to all:
1. I've read a lot about furloughs directly after "marking up" or qualifying. I know this is region/station dependent. Would anyone know the potential for furloughs in Augusta?
2. The company "hotels" on the rail where crews can bed down and eat. Are they pretty decent facilities? Are the rooms singles or shared?
3. I understand the "test" one takes at the hiring session is the same as the one I took when I applied for the job. Is this a fact?
4. Is there anyone else going for this particular hiring session?
5. Has anyone been to more than one hiring session and finally broke through and was hired? What did you do different?
6. What is the turnaround time from getting offered a position to a class start date at REDI in Atlanta?

I am looking forward to this opportunity with great enthusiasm. I just finished 9 years of active duty service with the Army just 3 weeks ago, and I know this environment would be a seamless transition. I hope to follow this post up with some good news.

1. Right now, the chance for furlough is better in the South than in the North. The coal fields are slow, so a lot of Conductors are making their way South and bumping the lower Seniority people. That being said, I have no clue what the current manpower situation in Augusta is.
2. I don't know anything about the road hotels, as I am still at the REDI. I will say the places they have us shacked up at in Atlanta are actually really nice. We do have our own rooms here.
3. I interviewed for two different locations on back to back days in Ohio. We didn't do any testing at either interview. Although, they may do things a little different "down South".
4. N/A.
5. I've been to 3 interviews, and was offered the job each time. First was in August 08'. The economy collapsed (Note to the clueless among us: Obama wasn't president yet), and they didn't end up hiring me........ they ended up laying off thousands of people before my start date.
6. I interviewed this time in Mid August and was in Atlanta training 6-7 weeks later. However, there is another Guy from my terminal who got a job offer in March, and just made it down here.

Don't be a tool at the interview, and You will do fine. There are a couple hundred of us at REDI currently, and at least 85-90% are retired military, or troops who just finished their enlistment. They really like Vets.

Good luck and thank You for your service.
 #1223947  by rtmason7

Trekker,

Don't you ever ask "Who's the man?" ever again. YOU are the man! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

As far as the interview, if you could relate some of the more memorable questions and answers that you and the interviewer traded, I would appreciate it. I ask because they will be interviewing a boat load of people, and I want to avoid some pitfalls that others may fall into unknowingly. For example, saying I'm a rail-fan or something. Or if I should emphasize my military experience, applicable/transferable skills, throw out some NORAC knowledge, or whatever. Am I going to be given an opportunity to straight up sell myself? Or will they ask some safety questions?

If you pass on anything about that interview that you would have liked someone to pass on to you back when, I would certainly appreciate it.

Either way, thank you for letting me benefit from your experience.
 #1225735  by rtmason7

Update: Completed the interview/hiring session.

Worthy of note:
- I was first. I arrived an hour early for that very reason. I beat the next guy by about 5-7 minutes.
- I was one of the very few who wore a tie and slacks.
- The interviewer/recruiter was thorough and professional. He knew his stuff and was generous with his time.
- The face to face was straight forward. No test. Lasted about 10 mins.
- The overview of the company, benefits, the position, etc., left me with no questions to ask. We were well informed about the glory and the harsh side of the Conductor position and life on the railroad. No sugar coating.

All that is left is to wait on a notification within the next 48 hours. It will be either a phone call (preferred) or an email (not preferred).

Standing by.
 #1227166  by rtmason7

All,

I was called at 10:30am and offered the position of Freight Conductor! Man o man! I couldn't be happier!
They informed me to expect the 2 emails with the offer letter, physical exam, strength test stuff, background check, etc., to be followed by instructions on where to go on the website for "new hires" and what to do there. Yadda yadda yadda...

I asked about a start date, and they replied that Jan. 6th is the tentative start date.

I can't wait to get started. I just need to survive until then.

BTW, I would like to get a head start on my studies at REDI. Anyone can point me in direction, I'd appreciate it. Work-groups, websites, textbooks, etc.

Thanks to all.
 #1227170  by rtmason7

Good luck, Helo.

And btw, listen closely to the presenter/interviewer's words. He will ask you to recall some of them in the face to face interview. If he says "you'll hear this again," count on it.

If you're attentive, and use simple common sense, you'll get the job. I over-thought it by a mile.
 #1230494  by rtmason7

rjalomos,

Congratulations! I knocked out the medical and strength test last week myself. I am waiting for my status to change on the CSX website where I applied, and I'm keeping an eye on the new hire site to make sure I'm not missing any "on-board" tasks.

Erin Jones told me that there was a tentative start date of 1/6/2014 when I first received the contingent offer call. So I'm just keeping that in mind.

I look forward to meeting you at the REDI and getting started on this conductor path! I hope our classmates are cool and supportive.
 #1235152  by rtmason7

All,

Just got the call from CSX @10:17 this morning informing me that my status is now "ready to hire" and my REDI report date is January 6, 2014. Super excited about starting training and going to work!

I hope the board here has benefited from my posts, getting an idea about how the timeline goes, how the process works, and what not.

For those that I will run into at the REDI, let's hook up for study groups so we can take care of business!

Good luck to you all.
 #1237578  by rswilloughby72

Did you get put in a pool, I was placed in a pool for track worker out of augusta ga and they told us at interview they would be pulling people out after the 1st of the year
 #1246158  by d0c69

FINALLY!!!!!! This has been a long trip and I realize it's actually not over but at least chapter 1 is finally over. After countless years and 3 interviews and 3 calls and 3 times taking the strength text I finally got my foot in the door. I am now just waiting for my start date to start chapter 2. A word to all who are trying to get onto the railroad don't give up don't give up don't give up. I would give you my story but I don't want to get carpal tunnel typing it out. The best of luck to all!!!!!
 #1246280  by peterbilt22

d0c69 wrote:FINALLY!!!!!! This has been a long trip and I realize it's actually not over but at least chapter 1 is finally over. After countless years and 3 interviews and 3 calls and 3 times taking the strength text I finally got my foot in the door. I am now just waiting for my start date to start chapter 2. A word to all who are trying to get onto the railroad don't give up don't give up don't give up. I would give you my story but I don't want to get carpal tunnel typing it out. The best of luck to all!!!!!
Congrats. .im still on "application recieved" for Atlanta conductor position. Also applied for NS fireman and oiler for Atlanta. Keep us update on the position
 #1246324  by d0c69

I also tried other companies besides CSX. I applied for any and all I seen posted. CSX, NS, Conrail, Amtrak, Septa, short lines, switching companies. I didn't only try for conductor I applied for anything I thought I could do just to get my foot in the door because I know the railroad has a great chance to make a great living in. I also didn't just want a job I wanted a career. I wanted meaning in my life. I am so ready for this challenge I can't wait to get started.
 #1246859  by jheitz

d0c69 wrote:FINALLY!!!!!! This has been a long trip and I realize it's actually not over but at least chapter 1 is finally over. After countless years and 3 interviews and 3 calls and 3 times taking the strength text I finally got my foot in the door. I am now just waiting for my start date to start chapter 2. A word to all who are trying to get onto the railroad don't give up don't give up don't give up. I would give you my story but I don't want to get carpal tunnel typing it out. The best of luck to all!!!!!
Congrats! It's a great career, good luck!
 #1303348  by GP30

I just went through a phone screen interview on Friday for System Production Team. They were very interested that I had a couple years prior experience as Track worker and Track Inspector on a shortline. Supposed to be recommended for a face-to-face interview. I feel like my odds are pretty good, sound like they are hiring several guys for SPT.

If I am hired, I could go into REDI classes in March, possibly earlier...... I know, just too early in process right now.

I was told during the phone screen that SPT's generally move to southern regions during winter to keep working. Are furloughs in SPT's during winter months frequent?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but I've been reading this and other threads, as well. Thanks!

Pat