Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1049782  by yamaharider529

Yea the actual yard is pretty small. I have two friends that currently work for them. They work at the Elk run yard. They've been with CSX for 8 years and they still get laid off for a couple of months out of the year. Guess you just have to bite the bullet and work your way through seniority. One of my friends that works at Elk run was working at the Russell Ky yard when work was slow here so hopefully they will give me an option if that would ever happen. My opinion I would rather be on a road train vs working in the yard. Any thoughts on that if you all have worked both. Thanks
 #1049804  by supernova1972

Everyone who goes to the REDI says they want to work road trains. Locals and yard service have their perks though, like sleeping in your own bed. That being said I still enjoy road trains since most of my runs go to Chicago (or went before retention board hit) and there is so much to do up there. It would be much different if I had a family.
 #1051050  by fred41

im a trainee out of Ashtabula what are my chances of getting furloughed after i mark up?

can i get on the Cleveland retention board?

what does it pay?

is there any where i can go to train and hold a spot that is around Ashtabula?
 #1060000  by mattyfro1973

I did my initail physical April 30th, got clear to hire status May 27th, had no start date at REDI set. Then June 20th got an email to do a reinstatement physical since it was going to expire before my start date, which I still do not have. So did another physical last thursday 6/29, now waiting for a stat date again. I was told will probably be the first week of september. That works for me since the weather will be starting to slightly cool off in Hotlanta! Plus I am currently working, so not stress about waiting. My question is, when I get a start date, does your seniority date begin with the clear to hire date or the date of your first physical, or your second physical? Or is it when you graduate REDI, or is it when you mark up? Thanks for any help!
 #1060394  by Gadfly

It is when you mark up to the 'board. At REDI, you are training, not building seniority. :)

J
 #1060772  by pswag115

Gadfly wrote:It is when you mark up to the 'board. At REDI, you are training, not building seniority. :)

J
I'm afraid I have to disagree with Gadfly, your seniority date is your first day at the Redi. Just marked up and my date in the mainframe is still my Redi start. One of the guys from my class (and is senior to me based on age) who came to the same terminal was out 3 weeks due to an injury, he has not marked up yet, but is senior to me.
 #1061184  by SGAKING

Seniority does start your first day at the REDI Center, But how they decide depends on where you are going,
I beleive if you are going up north then your age will decide your seniority amoungst the rest of you going north ( oldest gets higher seniority )
Im from down south and it was decided by pulling numbers out of a hat.
 #1061202  by Gadfly

pswag115 wrote:
Gadfly wrote:It is when you mark up to the 'board. At REDI, you are training, not building seniority. :)

J
I'm afraid I have to disagree with Gadfly, your seniority date is your first day at the Redi. Just marked up and my date in the mainframe is still my Redi start. One of the guys from my class (and is senior to me based on age) who came to the same terminal was out 3 weeks due to an injury, he has not marked up yet, but is senior to me.

That's changed from when I did it. We went thru probation after we marked up and established seniority on that date.
 #1064034  by darrenlee

Hey Shawn74 I sent my email to you. I have the interview tomorrow morning and if anyone could give me advice it would be appreciated. BTW its for a conductor position with CSX in Atlanta
 #1065625  by darrenlee

Hey guys, going to take my strength test on Friday. So glad I went from waiting in a "pool of eligible candidates" to offer in less than 24 hours. Thanks Shawn74 for the tid bits