Railroad Forums 

• CSX high-wind derailment in Batavia 3/8/17

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1423111  by BR&P

81 mph gust at Rochester airport. Trees down all over. Glad we set back our road trip, or we'd be on the Thruway.
 #1423112  by NaugyRR

CSX isn't exactly having a good day today, is it?
 #1423153  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:Seems they have it opened up, heard an eastbound through Chili about a half hour ago.
I saw a Facebook post that said the derailment site was in the middle of the old Batavia Yard and they
are using one of the yard tracks to walk the trains through at 5 mph.

At least traffic can keep moving. 😎

Charlie
 #1423454  by twropr

The incident not only blocked the main tracks, but also resulted in some signal outages and road crossing protective device malfunctions. All the Amtrak trains have been experiencing several hour delays between Buffalo-Depew and Rochester, and the delays are still occurring two days later as I write this.
Andy
 #1423474  by BR&P

twropr wrote:The incident not only blocked the main tracks, but also resulted in some signal outages and road crossing protective device malfunctions. All the Amtrak trains have been experiencing several hour delays between Buffalo-Depew and Rochester, and the delays are still occurring two days later as I write this.
Andy
Most likely the signal problems are caused by power outages from the wind storm, not from the derailment.
 #1423699  by Matt Langworthy

The power outages are definitely to blame for the signal malfunction. I have seen a photo of a CSX signal box being powered by a portable generator, so the power outage had to have affected it.

Also, the Buffalo Southern RR had to spend 2 days cleaning up their line due to fallen trees from the same windstorm.
 #1424047  by sd80mac

That chain is not going to help if someone really want to steal it.

Too bad that they did not design the shed that would include generator inside or have solar panel on the roof.