Railroad Forums 

• CSX GP-30

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1133661  by maddoxdy

As I was entering I 76 WB from 30th St Station today, I glanced across the Schuylkill and saw a CSX mixed freight, nothing special. However, there seemed to be more engines then needed, six I think. Then the last engine jumped out at me, it was a GP-30. There is no mistaking the roof line. The two engines in front of it were Geeps. All three looked very clean, maybe recent paint job. I wish I could have paid more attention and turned around to follow, but alas I was driving a bus and had to manage that job first. What did I see? Does CSX still have working Geeps? I don't follow CSX much as I don't get to see it too often.

Doug Maddox
 #1133664  by Ken S.

They still have some GP38-2s and GP40-2s in service. There might also be some GP15-1s running on Conrail SA Territory. The GP30 you saw was rebuilt as a road slug some time ago.
 #1135220  by scottychaos

MR77100 wrote:All of CSX's GP30's have been rebuilt into road slugs.
Technically that is not true..
It is true if you say:
"All of the former CSX's GP30's *that are still on the CSX roster* have been rebuilt into road slugs."
but there are some former CSX GP30's that have not been rebuilt into road slugs, because they left CSX before
they could be rebuilt into road slugs..
such as:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2605700

and quite a few others..not sure how many.

Scot
 #1136211  by mmi16

scottychaos wrote:
It is true if you say:
"All of the former CSX's GP30's *that are still on the CSX roster* have been rebuilt into road slugs."
but there are some former CSX GP30's that have not been rebuilt into road slugs, because they left CSX before
such as:

Scot
Anything that looks like a GP30 on CSX property has been made into a road slug. There are no operating GP30's on CSX.
 #1136226  by scottychaos

mmi16 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:
It is true if you say:
such as:

Scot
Anything that looks like a GP30 on CSX property has been made into a road slug. There are no operating GP30's on CSX.
right..thats what I said! ;)

Scot
 #1136285  by roadster

As a further note, they are mated to GP40-2 mothers. So seeing a 2nd generation GP on CSX is not unusual. There are GP15s, GP 38s, GP 40s, a few GP39s, even a GP60 or 2. Mostly used as local, yard or work train service.
 #1147104  by Tadman

Those GP30 slugs were once often seen on the ex-PM lines in Michigan, but I haven't seen one for a decade or so. Heck, I haven't seen a CSX-led freight on the ex-PM in a decade or so. It's a quiet place after CP pulled out for NS, and CSX quit the Benton Harbor local.