Railroad Forums 

• CSX GMS 2?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#984592  by BAR

Saw an unusual track vehicle (at least for me) passing westbound through Williamsburg, VA this afternoon. It was lettered CSXT GMS 2 and appeared to be some kind of inspection vehicle. Please provide any information on what it is. Thanks very much.

Bill
Williamsburg, VA
 #984642  by mmi16

Track geometry measurement vehicle.
 #984795  by BAR

Thanks.

Bill
 #984870  by roadster

G-Gauge M-Measurement S-System. one of 2 such vehicles on CSX. It puts artificial stress in different directions on the rail to simulate a passing train and measures the amount of deflection caused by said stress to determin if tie, spikes and anchor systems are functioning as needed.
 #985081  by Gadfly

Do they ever follow the GMS crew's advice? With this company, with one of the worst reputations for derailments, they ought to! :)
 #985440  by roadster

I've had to pilot these vehicles several times in the past 10 years. Besides the 3 man crew and engineer pilot there is always the Division Road Master, and the Road Master for each subdivision they're operating on. FYI, the MoW subs are smaller with different ends than transportation subdivisions. While more severe faults are immedeately posted with the required slow orders, The rest of the data is used to plan the next years maintainance schedule and requirements. This system only does Guage issues. It does not x-ray the rail, or radar the rail profile as telemetry types cars do. So there are many other circumstances which may cause a derailment, from track conditions, train handling, weather related defects, and human interference. A minor defect may not be an issue when located, but may change with unexpected manipulation from numerous sources.
 #985995  by strench707

I believe its symbol for the run it did on the 1st (when you saw it) was W001-02, just in case anyone is interested in that. Not sure why it was dated for the second of the month....

Davis