Railroad Forums 

• CSX F7's and another Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#181288  by Engineer James

I have a question. i was looking over some old TRAINS Mags from 1992-1993 and i saw a photo of 2 CSX F7's I do not remember road numbers. However the headline did say something having to do with an MARC. No cue what it is but, i am presuming it is a commuter rr of the Northeast.

Anothher question. Does anybody live near the CSX Toledo Subdivision possibily from Wayne Yard, In Wayne Mi, to the Plymouth Diamond, In Plymouth, michigan? If so... I would like to talk to you. (If you have lived there before 1993, it would help).

#181374  by Sam Damon

MARC would be the commuter lines the state of Maryland runs up to Martinsburg, WV and Washington, DC.
 #181421  by Jay Potter

All four F-units were leased to MARC from mid-1991 into late-1992, except that unit 119 was retired in September 1992 because of a main generator failure. In November 1992, following an assignment on an excursion train between Cumberland, Maryland and Grafton, West Virginia, the remaining units (116, 117, and 118) were returned to CSXT by MARC and placed in storage at Waycross, Georgia.

#181617  by Engineer James

So they are in storage?? Interesting.... Any recent assignments?

#181621  by Jay Potter

Scroll down to the "CSX F units" topic on page 3 below.

#181739  by TheChessieCatLives

CSX FP7B number 117 and FP7A number 118 are still out pounding the rails. Renumbered 417 and 418 respectively, both units are currently or were serving on the Potomac Eagle, a tourist line here in West Virginia as shown in the photos.Imageformer Seaboard/Family Lines FP7A and FP7B #'s 118 and 117 in CSX/Potomac Eagle colors.

#182117  by BridgeportSub

The #117 and #118 have been repainted into Western Maryland colors and are working on the West Virginia Central Railroad and been renumbered #415 and #67 respectively.

The #116 is owned by the Cheasapeake & Ohio Historical Society and has been repainted into C&O Colors and renumbered to #8016. The unit is currently on the South Branch Valley Railroad in West Virginia and often used on the Potomac Eagle Excursions out of Romney, WV on the South Branch Valley.

Chris

#182318  by Engineer James

Do they still belong in some fashion to CSX?? Or did CSX Sell em?? Why did CSX purchase them, and what about their E8's #9998 and #9999, (Now Back in Pennsy Colors and for NS) were they going to be used on some "fast frieght"?

#182325  by crazy_nip

csx sold the f's and e units back in 2001 or 2002

they inherited the f units from the clinchfield railroad and the L&N

they inherited the E units from conrail when they took them over

they never used the e units in service of any kind

they used the f units for a short time on intermodal trains in the 80's and to pull the business trains

they sold them after getting a pair of ex-amtrak F40PH's to do that in the early 2000's

#197408  by csx hogger 98

Engineer James, these F-units, 116, 117, 118, and the 119 were assigned to the roadrailer which ran from Plymouth, Michigan down the Toledo Sub to Cincinnatti Ohio during the eighties. Hope this info helps.

#197452  by Engineer James

Hey, I live near there. During the Eighties? Ok... sonuds interesting. I live no more than 3 miles from the Plymouth Diamond and the Toldeo Sub. You live along the line?

#201347  by csx hogger 98

No I don't live along the Toledo Sub but i have family that worked on that train, I hired out too late to get to work it. Im not exactly sure when the train stopped running but I believe CSX sold all the equipment (minus engines) to the NS.

#202300  by Engineer James

CSX Hopper... Did you live along the route in 1993? I am looking for someone who Lived from Plymouth Diamond to Wayne Yard on the Toldeo Sub.

#202317  by csx hogger 98

No I never lived along that line. What are you looking for though maybe I can find some info for you. Just out of curiosity do you work for the railroad or is that just a screen name?