Railroad Forums 

• CSX Derailment in Fonda, NY today (05/30/06 - 15:00)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#251267  by District D RTC

CSXT Train Q381 derailed in or near Fonda, NY on CSX's Mohawk Subdivision. Fonda, NY is about 40-50 miles WEST of Selkirk - at Milepost QD-185. The exact location of the derailment is still not known to me, nor is severety of said derailment, but reports state that ALL tracks are blocked at the location of the derailment. Also of note - the National Weather (nws.noaa.gov) has issued a severe storm warning for the Fonda area, and current reports from Fonda tell of golf-ball sized hail and 40+ mile winds with 60-70 mile gusts. Not an ideal situation to clean up a derailment.

At this time, I repeat that the cause of the derailment is UNKNOW, and I do not know if the weather had any part in it. I am told the derailment happened at about 15:00.

This report has been sent by me to several lists, if you feel I have missed any, please feel free to forward it. I will update more info as it becomes availible.

--JSW
 #251351  by Noel Weaver

The original news was Amsterdam but later it was moved west to Tribes
Hill which is about MP 181. This is the spot where NY route 5 goes up the
hill and slightly away from the tracks while the tracks stay close to the
river. There are some curves in the area including a 50 MPH curve for
van trains. MP 185 is much closer to Fonda, quite close to the fair grounds
and the racing strip (stock cars etc).
Seems to me that there is a lock on the canal quite close to this location.
Below is a link (I hope) from the Albany Times Union article.
Noel Weaver

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story. ... =5/30/2006

#251364  by ANDY117

They're already detouring trains over the NYSW, from what I've seen on the Yahoo! groups.

#251440  by Steve F45

not sure what there going to do now with the derailment of NYSW in paterson with 5 or so cars on the sides and 1 going thru a car wash.

#251469  by roadster

No cause has yet been stated, but CSX expects to have one of the mains back in operation in 17 hrs, or around noon time Wednesday. The NYSW detour looked good till their derailment, but that being smaller, sdhould be cleared quicker. I relayed a Q164-30 to the NYSW at Geddes st. tonight. We will see what tomorrow brings.

#251474  by RSD15

Q164(SU100X) with 5324 and 5322 went south about 12am and will probably go all the way on the tier NJT.

#251492  by Steve F45

i just got an email update thru yahoo. they are still in binghamton and nysw is adding more cars supposedly.

#251510  by washingtonsecondary

It looks like Q109 was routed on the NS to Harrisburg, then onto Buffalo. Might be more trains, some were held at Selkirk until this mess is cleared. Major detours over the NYS&W appear unlikely.

#251572  by charlie6017

On the NY State forum, someone posted that NYSW has their own derailment at Paterson NJ. More detours via the NS Buffalo Line.........

#251636  by roadster

csx has started calling crews for Selkirk west and Buffalo East, several crews on duty between 14:00 and 15:00 so looks like the cork is about to be pulled. Most likely a single track at 15 MPH for now.

#251704  by njt4172

RSD15 wrote:Q164(SU100X) with 5324 and 5322 went south about 12am and will probably go all the way on the tier NJT.
Yes, this train took the whole Tier Route where it entered the NYSW at Passaic Junction to avoid the Paterson derailment. It arrived Little Ferry this afternoon...

As of 1830 another reroute (Q156) is coming close to Port Jervis....

Steve
 #251711  by Ocala Mike

Nothing to do with CSX, but wasn't Fonda the site of the Thruway bridge washout around 20 years ago? I always remember that, because I crossed over that bridge the day before the collapse on a trip back from Canandaigua.

Ocala Mike
 #251720  by Howiew

Ocala Mike wrote:Nothing to do with CSX, but wasn't Fonda the site of the Thruway bridge washout around 20 years ago? I always remember that, because I crossed over that bridge the day before the collapse on a trip back from Canandaigua.

Ocala Mike
That occured on April 5, 1987 over the Schoharie Creek near Amsterdam. The CSX main is on the other side of the Mohawk River from the thruway. The former West Shore bridge over the Schoharie was used as a temp. thruway by-pass.

#252097  by Steve F45

so is the river line back up for action? i haven't heard anything at all down here by me (cp5) since someone mentioned there was 1 track back up at the derailment site.

#252247  by Steve F45

are there any pics out there of the wreck?