Railroad Forums 

• CSX Derailment in Fonda, NY today (05/30/06 - 15:00)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#252535  by Railhead

Hi
I was able to go to the site of the derailment and get some pictures
here is a picture I took on Thursday 6/1/06 approximately 48 hours after the derailment.
I am west looking east towards Amsterdam
later when I have time I will post more
Enjoy
Bob

http://users.adelphia.net/~rwasiczk/_DSC0998-1.jpg

#252690  by Steve F45

WOW, does look like it was a mess. What exactly leaked or was spilled?

how bad were the engines?

#252699  by Railhead

The tank cars where empty but reports state they had carried Ethanol
which is the same as grain alcohol. Ethanol is flammable and there where concerns that any residual ethanol in the tanks could be ignited. I was unable to get to the scene until 48 hours later. I did not see any engines. If I gotten there earlier I am unsure I would have been able to get as close as I did. There appeared to be a access road off the main road
I was unsure if I could go down it, I ventured half way down to get the pictures. I bet if I was there right after the event, I would not have been able to go down the road.

#252710  by Noel Weaver

Railhead wrote:The tank cars where empty but reports state they had carried Ethanol
which is the same as grain alcohol. Ethanol is flammable and there where concerns that any residual ethanol in the tanks could be ignited. I was unable to get to the scene until 48 hours later. I did not see any engines. If I gotten there earlier I am unsure I would have been able to get as close as I did. There appeared to be a access road off the main road
I was unsure if I could go down it, I ventured half way down to get the pictures. I bet if I was there right after the event, I would not have been able to go down the road.
The pictures are interesting, I assume that this occurred very close to
Lock 12, am I correct?
Noel Weaver

#252729  by Railhead

About 1 to 2 miles east of the lock in Tribes Hill
I think this is lock 12

#253023  by charlie6017

Yes, I think it's 12. Lock 10 is Cranesville, so 11 would be Guy Park..........I'm from the wrong side of the state-so I had to think.

#253714  by roadster

The engines weren't involved.