Railroad Forums 

• csx conductor questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1256019  by Walter White

I have looked around to see if other people have had these questions but couldn't find them so i decided to make a post asking them. These questions might be considered stupid or "noobie" to some of you or they may not, i just like to know what i am in for before i decide to do something so that is why.

-What is the difference between a Foreman and a Conductor?

-I have read that the conductor pretty much does everything besides drive the train so my question is how does a conductor keep up with knowing what signals, mileposts etc. to call out and how does he remember all of the signal meanings and knowing each and every speed limit on each and every track. Is there some sort of on job training or something where they will get some hands on training? It just seems like a lot to remember and these things are something you can't make mistakes in.

-If there is on job training do they take you in the "Yard" and on the "Road" and for how long is on job training?

-I have heard that some days can be up to 12 hours, how can you manage to not use the bathroom during this time while on the train? You can't just stop the train every time you need to use the bathroom can you? I know that the locomotive has a bathroom but aren't there restrictions about using the bathroom while the train is moving?

-How does a conductor keep up with all of the cars he is hauling and where each and everyone of them goes and which cars are carrying which freight and stuff like that?

-When in the "Yard" how do you know where each and every car goes? I have seen rail yards with dozens of different tracks and it just seems like it would be hard to figure out where everything goes?
 #1256123  by Knucklehead

Foreman is basically the name of the conductor on the yard jobs.

Conductors go through extensive 6 week training at the REDI in Atlanta where all of the signals for the territory you will work in are learned, and tested on…WORD FOR WORD! Each division has a time table that lists each line, the rules they operate under, station names, control point (CP) locations, speed limits, etc. YES, there is a tremendous amount of OJT, and YES, you will have to remember signal locations, CP locations, and speed limits for every section of track which you are qualified on. It is not hard - just take a lot of notes and make your own maps with the info - best way to learn.

You can be on duty up to 12 hours. Road jobs generally have toilets that operate at any speed, depending on the quality of the power you have on your train. On locals, the woods have been known to substitute, although doing so may get you in a bit of trouble.
 #1256357  by Walter White

Knucklehead wrote:Foreman is basically the name of the conductor on the yard jobs.

Conductors go through extensive 6 week training at the REDI in Atlanta where all of the signals for the territory you will work in are learned, and tested on…WORD FOR WORD! Each division has a time table that lists each line, the rules they operate under, station names, control point (CP) locations, speed limits, etc. YES, there is a tremendous amount of OJT, and YES, you will have to remember signal locations, CP locations, and speed limits for every section of track which you are qualified on. It is not hard - just take a lot of notes and make your own maps with the info - best way to learn.

You can be on duty up to 12 hours. Road jobs generally have toilets that operate at any speed, depending on the quality of the power you have on your train. On locals, the woods have been known to substitute, although doing so may get you in a bit of trouble.
Thank you sir, so from what i understand you train at REDI for awhile and then they send you back to your territory for OJT? I would be applying for the Indianapolis territory would that mean i am only qualified to operate in Indianapolis or how far does the territories usually go?
 #1257110  by supernova1972

Indianapolis/Avon is 6 weeks at REDI, 6 months OJT that includes RCO training. You will be qualified east road that goes to Toledo, Crestline and Marion and locals, west road that goes to Chicago, Salem and East St. Louis and locals. RCO yard board that covers 7 jobs per shift at avon and switchmens board at our Indy yard that covers about 10 jobs. We have about 20 yellow hats here now and 6 just marked up. You will learn everything you need to know in training.
 #1257386  by mdr406

Dictionary definitions:

Foreman- A foreman, forewoman, or foreperson is a supervisor, often in a manual trade or industry.

Conductor- A conductor is a railway train crew member responsible for operational and safety duties that do not involve actual operation of the train.
 #1257445  by supernova1972

mdr406 wrote:Dictionary definitions:

Foreman- A foreman, forewoman, or foreperson is a supervisor, often in a manual trade or industry.

Conductor- A conductor is a railway train crew member responsible for operational and safety duties that do not involve actual operation of the train.
That wasn't written for railroad terms. If you are working a yard job, you are a yard foreman or foreman if you are the ranking crew member, road job you are a conductor if you are the ranking crew member.
 #1270938  by Walter White

supernova1972 wrote:Indianapolis/Avon is 6 weeks at REDI, 6 months OJT that includes RCO training. You will be qualified east road that goes to Toledo, Crestline and Marion and locals, west road that goes to Chicago, Salem and East St. Louis and locals. RCO yard board that covers 7 jobs per shift at avon and switchmens board at our Indy yard that covers about 10 jobs. We have about 20 yellow hats here now and 6 just marked up. You will learn everything you need to know in training.
Alright so i have a question regarding the track qualifications. If CSX were to lay new trackage (which they will most likely be doing soon on the LIRC line), would i not be qualified to run on those tracks since i was not trained for them?
 #1271078  by COEN77

You'll be qualified on everything within your immediate seniority district. You might stand for work at other locations under the seniority zone but it won't be necessary to get qualified unless you excersise the right to transfer. That might be confusing it really isn't it's something you'll learn over time. Going to Atlanta to REDI will fill your head up with lots of important info which might not make sense till actually putting it to use. Get through the classes pass the tests if retention rate is 15% that's good. Practical application with OJT will put it all in place. Everyday on the railroad is a learning experience.
 #1271127  by Walter White

COEN77 wrote:You'll be qualified on everything within your immediate seniority district. You might stand for work at other locations under the seniority zone but it won't be necessary to get qualified unless you excersise the right to transfer. That might be confusing it really isn't it's something you'll learn over time. Going to Atlanta to REDI will fill your head up with lots of important info which might not make sense till actually putting it to use. Get through the classes pass the tests if retention rate is 15% that's good. Practical application with OJT will put it all in place. Everyday on the railroad is a learning experience.
Ok that clears that all up, thanks!
 #1271628  by supernova1972

Walter White wrote: Alright so i have a question regarding the track qualifications. If CSX were to lay new trackage (which they will most likely be doing soon on the LIRC line), would i not be qualified to run on those tracks since i was not trained for them?
The LIRC line that comes into downtown has already been redone. Two trains a day are brought up over LIRC line from crews down there and an east end crew takes over the train in Indy and continues. You won't be qualified on this track. Whoever if they ever would add track, which is an oddity now, if your terminal covers it, you will get qualified.