Railroad Forums 

• CSX Business Train Sideswiped - Moncrief

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1214689  by Lady Penelope

Early afternoon of Saturday September 14, 2013, a CSX remote yard job powered by CSX MP15AC #1161 building outbound CSX intermodal train Q026 sideswiped CSX F40PH-2 engines #9992 and #9999 on a just arrived office car special in Jacksonville, FL Moncrief Yard, derailing both F40PH-2 units, with #9992 leading on its side. Both F40PH-2 units, as well as MP15AC #1161 will be sent to Cumberland, MD on a special hospital train on tomorrow Sunday September 14, 2013, with each unit buffered by two railcars.
Attachments:
(44 KiB) Downloaded 5798 times
 #1215144  by airman00

dedm30junk wrote:Think its time to get rid of the remote control and put a train crew on board. If a crew was on board this would not have happen.
I agree with that 100% Nothing beats an actual engineer in the drivers seat. The more we start replacing actual human beings...

Anyway how bad were those engines damaged? I hope they'll be repaired.
 #1215170  by BR&P

Caption writer was in la-la land. Obviously the unit was NOT on its side as stated, and it says the incident happened Saturday the 14th and the units will be shipped out on Sunday the 14th. If the caption is correct that 9992 was the leader, it does not appear the trailing unit would even have been damaged.

I don't like remotes either, but this same thing happened countless times in the past with a live human in the right hand seat, too. Having an engineer on board may help the odds but it's no guarantee.
 #1215392  by Lady Penelope

BR&P wrote:Caption writer was in la-la land. Obviously the unit was NOT on its side as stated, and it says the incident happened Saturday the 14th and the units will be shipped out on Sunday the 14th. If the caption is correct that 9992 was the leader, it does not appear the trailing unit would even have been damaged.

I don't like remotes either, but this same thing happened countless times in the past with a live human in the right hand seat, too. Having an engineer on board may help the odds but it's no guarantee.

1) The date was a typo, should be Sunday the 15th
2) I was there, and saw the damage to BOTH the units
3) I said the 9992 was LEANING on its side NOT 'ON ITS SIDE'

Read the post carefully and get your facts right before you go on bashing other people. Looks like you are in la-la land yourself
 #1215395  by airman00

Look at too where and how this happened... The switcher appears to be coming towards the business train. And so if there was an engineer in the seat he would've seen this (or at least the conductor would have since he sits on the same side the accident occured) and thusly would've had plenty of time to stop.
 #1215399  by BR&P

Lady Penelope wrote:
BR&P wrote:Caption writer was in la-la land. Obviously the unit was NOT on its side as stated, and it says the incident happened Saturday the 14th and the units will be shipped out on Sunday the 14th. If the caption is correct that 9992 was the leader, it does not appear the trailing unit would even have been damaged.

1) The date was a typo, should be Sunday the 15th
2) I was there, and saw the damage to BOTH the units
3) I said the 9992 was LEANING on its side NOT 'ON ITS SIDE'

Read the post carefully and get your facts right before you go on bashing other people. Looks like you are in la-la land yourself
Well, that's good advice. Now - assuming you know the difference between a "D" and an "N", go to the top of the page and look at what you posted. You said the unit was LEADING - which the picture seems to confirm.

I did not know YOU personally wrote all that. Your picture, and that narrative are making the rounds of the internet, and the exact post arrived in my email box no less than three times before I saw it on here. So hundreds, maybe thousands, of people have seen the post and pic with the mixed up date (easy to figure out what was intended) and the caption (not so easy to figure out).

Probably "..leaning TO the side..." would have been better than "...leaning ON its side...". But I received follow-up emails and others have taken the intent the same way I did.

So - "Read the post carefully and get your facts right before you go on bashing other people." Good advice! :P
 #1215458  by spatcher

dedm30junk wrote:Think its time to get rid of the remote control and put a train crew on board. If a crew was on board this would not have happen.
You really can't say that. I have seen plenty of sideswipes in my time with the railroad, and many have had a full crew on board.
 #1215465  by BR&P

So how far has the hospital train gotten? I find it amazing that the incident happened on a weekend and they would make a decision on repair, set up the move, make all the arrangements, and get the thing rolling in one day. CSX must be a different railroad, usually something like that would take quite a while to put in motion.

Also, from the one pic - admittedly not showing great detail - nothing looks too badly damaged. There's no place closer they can make those repairs, or is the damage greater than what is readily apparent?
 #1216138  by Backshophoss

A small yard in Jacksonville,fenced in and well light,guarded,and not far from CSX HQ is the "home"
of the CSX biz fleet,Cumberland Md shop maybe is the only shop allowed to work on the biz fleet,
and may also be the shop that does the Remote Control conversions/repairs.
 #1216206  by Freddy

Backshophoss wrote:A small yard in Jacksonville,fenced in and well light,guarded,and not far from CSX HQ is the "home"
of the CSX biz fleet,Cumberland Md shop maybe is the only shop allowed to work on the biz fleet,
and may also be the shop that does the Remote Control conversions/repairs.
I dug in code line inside that fence for the dispatch center.