Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boxcar shortage?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#249516  by Engineer James

Has CSX run out of boxcars? Have seen MANY shortline boxes through on the local. Hutchison Northern, Arkansas Midland, and even 3 Western & Pacific... is CSX liking these 40 and 50 footer compared to theirs? Or are they just "Visiting"?

#249522  by NYSW13000

They are just on a short "visit". A lot of railroads interchange equipment with other railroads, in which that is why you'll see UP boxcars in New Jersey or CR gondolas in California. This happens because it is a waste of time switching the load from one car to another. So all they do is interchange the rolling stock with the other railroad, no matter where the railroad who owns the car is located.

#249698  by Engineer James

Love the pic. Yeah, I just wondered why there were SO many??? I got extremely ahppy and wasted a camera on the whole local.... Amazing... Even a few Even's ATSF Double doors on the end.... had a fit! :-D :-D

#249727  by crazy_nip

I doubt it, they are in the process of scrapping probabally hundreds of ex-conrail 80ft boxcars, if they needed them, they wouldnt have done that

#249840  by RSD15

at dewitt there are probablly close to 100 of those "BIG BLUE" box cars in storage.

#249843  by mu26aeh

on the Hanover Sub in Gettysburg, there are 30+ Railbox cars sitting on Camp Siding. definetly isn't a shortage of boxcars around here. of course, those cars have been in the area the last 3 years this time of year

#249850  by NYSW13000

As I said before, there is no boxcar shortage on CSX. There is a 110% chance everytime you go watch freight trains in North America, you will see foreign railcars. Thats one of the things North American railroading is known for.
Last edited by NYSW13000 on Thu May 25, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#249853  by Steve F45

I was going to say, the last few mixed freight here in nj/cp-5 i have seen dozens of the big blue csx box cars. Also lots of white UP,WC and a slew of fadded ones with names hard to read.

#249947  by Engineer James

I have seen plenty of the Blue, CSX, and the brown CR boxcars.... just saw em... now does CSX plan on keeping their Chessie cement cars in the Chessie scheme?

#249985  by RichM

Different type of business... cement typically moves from only a few locations to only a few customers... so the fleet of cars becomes basically special purpose or somewhat dedicated, almost like a unit coal train.
Covered hoppers are also a lot more specialized than they appear, from everything to pneumatic blower connections to the size and configuration of the roof hatches.
I had a buddy that designed a fly-ash system at a power plant, ash was to be hauled away in covered hoppers. A lot bigger deal than everyone involved first thought, specifying or at least trying to work with the particular railroad to determine what configuration was most common for them, and then, how many cars might be readily available.

#250000  by RailBus63

There is a string of boxcars that has been sitting for a week on the siding adjacent to the N.Y. State Fairgrounds in Syracuse (east of Belle Isle). Many various roadnames, including a Southern Pacific car that can be seen from Route 295.

Jim

#250016  by Engineer James

Southern Pacifc Bozcars were last week... I saw thw West, as I now like to say... Also, a lot of railbox, newer ones too.

#269048  by overseer

RailBus63 wrote:There is a string of boxcars that has been sitting for a week on the siding adjacent to the N.Y. State Fairgrounds in Syracuse (east of Belle Isle). Many various roadnames, including a Southern Pacific car that can be seen from Route 295.

Jim
Always a good number of FGLK Boxcars parked along Rt 690 on the sideing just befor the Fairmount Exit sideing holds about 14 cars at any one time. There is a long string of ATW and TKEN Gondolas siting there now. I pass that sideing on the way to work every night.

#269258  by 262

The Little Yard at Dania,(CSX Miami Subdivision) Florida,fills up with boxcars loaded with plywood and drywall at the start of each week due to hurricane repairs and new construction.The M/Ts are moved to the south end.Where 0722 pulls them to Hialeah at the end of its day.So Q452 can take them north.And Q453 starts the show again.