Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#634640  by railman616

B736 is on the chopping block. Only if the customer scream loud enough will they get serviced more then once or twice a week.
 #634912  by atsf sp

Did they take the AC6000CWs, AC4400CWs, and SD70MACs off all trains to Boston? I have only been seeing ES44DCs and GP40-2s. Today all ES44DCs except for a lone GP40.
 #635500  by Ironman

The van trains usually get the ES4400DC's because they are light trains. That is why you are seeing mostly those units in Beacon Park. They like to keep the AC6000's and the 4400AC's for the general freight trains, which no longer go to Beacon.

The GP40's are yard and local power.

It's not really a policy to keep the units you are speaking of out of Beacon Park, it is just kind of working out that way.
 #635801  by Ironman

They still run on the B&A, they just don't get to Beacon Park that much anymore. Go to Worcester and you'll see them, and all kinds of other power.
 #635886  by CSX Conductor

The night job (B736) will be abolished next week and B732 out of Readville will do the Milford & Franklin work of B736 two days a week (probably Tuesdays & Thursdays). B735 will be moved to Readville and run lite on the corridor to Mansfield as opposed to the Framingham Secondary. :wink:
 #635989  by atsf sp

Ironman wrote:They still run on the B&A, they just don't get to Beacon Park that much anymore. Go to Worcester and you'll see them, and all kinds of other power.
Is there any way to get to where the engines are kept at the Worcester yard? I've tried to find them but don't know where it is or how to get there. And I don't mean the T layover.
 #636959  by atsf sp

atsf sp wrote:Did they take the AC6000CWs, AC4400CWs, and SD70MACs off all trains to Boston? I have only been seeing ES44DCs and GP40-2s.
I spoke too soon. I was sitting by the tracks today just west of Beacon Park and a consist with no freight cars just, 8 engines rolled by. Heres the order 5345-ES44DC, 366-AC4400CW, 5477-ES44DC, 605-AC6000CW, 531-AC4400CW, 158-AC4400CW, 4794-SD70MAC-T1, 4534-SD70MAC.
 #637676  by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Is there any word on what time B735 will be on duty in Readville?
Probably the same time as it does now in Walpole (400am).
 #638742  by CR-SD50

I'm going to be in Springfield this coming weekend (1-21), and will have Saturday to do some railfanning of the B&A. Does anyone have a rough schedule of the CSX freights for the area? Also, keeping in mind that I only have Saturday available, does anyone have advice for making the best of the time available? I was thinking of driving as far as Chester or maybe a bit past. What are some of the better watching spots? Are there decent spots to watch at West Springfield without trespassing?
 #638772  by roberttosh

If you are at the Amtrak station in Downtown Springfield, there's something like 4 Intermodal trains each way, 1 auto train each way and 3 general freights each way for a total of 16 through trains daily on CSXT. Note that some Intermodal trains may not run every day of the week. If you are west of the station (and also west of the nearby CSXT yard just across the river), then there's a another pair of merchandise trains added into the mix that originate/terminate at Springfield. Things were a bit busier just a few months back but due to the bad economy some trains have been combined/annulled. At the Springfield station you will also see a few CT Southern trains per day going to and from CSXT's west Springfield yard and if you are lucky you may even catch Pan Am freight trains PLED/EDPL that run once or twice per week across the diamond on Pan Am's north-south Conn River line. There are obviously several daily Amtrak trains that stop at the station as well. As info, the station is in a pretty run down industrial area, definately not the worst area around but not exactly the nicest either (more so after dark), just keep an eye on your surroundings, especially on the side streets near the station. I would suggest early morning to mid afternoon as the best time, but again, things seem to be a bit slowly in general lately on the B&A - at least during the daytime. Hope that helps!
 #638776  by atsf sp

At the West Springfield yard, there is a public road that goes right next to the engine house plus a lot of parking lots in the area you could sit in and watch.
 #641211  by atsf sp

Could anyone confirm CSX 7643 on the Boston Line yesterday? I saw a C40-8 and I think it was 7643 but anyone else see it?