Railroad Forums 

• CSX B40-8s converted to B20-8s?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#749215  by MEC407

Rumor has it that CSX is downgrading some of their B40-8s to "B20-8" status. That's a pretty massive reduction in horsepower. Does anybody know exactly what CSX is doing to these units?

(I'd love to think that they're installing the new inline-6 GEVO, but it seems like that would have garnered a considerable amount of publicity, both from CSX and GE, due to the "green" aspect of it.)
 #749335  by Allen Hazen

I wish I knew! The GE press release a few months (maybe last year?) ago about the GEVO-6 switcher idea had a drawing showing a B40-8 style carbody, and part of the scheme WAS to rebuild old locomotives. It's conceivable that GE and CSX are doing a few units to test, and delaying the publicity until the test shows successful results: one can hope!

But, like you, I don't know.

(Aside: the FDL-16 has the same cylinder dimensions as the Alco 244 engine. So ONE way to downgrade a B40-8 to 2000 horsepower would be to replace its turbocharger with one from a PA-1! The power increase in engines of basically the same size for GE and Alco-GE locomotives has really been quite astonishing.)
 #749862  by RickRackstop

It is just a rumor but...if they are going to repower with the GEVO I6 engine GE's publicity machine would be in full force. I wonder if they aren't trying de-turboing like they do for old SD/GP 40's. They would have to cut way back on the fuel injectors. Maybe its one of a kind to test the concept. Well its interesting to think about it and that's probably all it is.
 #749867  by DutchRailnut

Just about impossible to run a four stroke GE without a Turbo.
Even an EMD will need a rootsblower or Turbo to operate.
 #749870  by MEC407

Maybe they're cutting the block in half and creating a V8...? :wink:
 #749872  by RickRackstop

DutchRailnut wrote:Just about impossible to run a four stroke GE without a Turbo.
Even an EMD will need a rootsblower or Turbo to operate.
That's what stroke one and four are on a 4 stroke engine - scavenging. GE sales pitch to marine operators was that if the turbo failed, unlike EMD coming to a stop, the GE could poop along at reduced power. In practice the GE units blotted out the sun and the pilot radioed for help.
THEORETICALLY 4 strokes should run fine without a turbo, look at all the Yanmars out there as auxiliary power for sailing yachts. That's why I think that there might be someone at CSX with a lot of time on their hands and is wondering if they can make switchers out of this locos without spending a lot of money and have to deal with those pesky turbos.
 #750039  by Allen Hazen

"Naturally" aspirated diesels a bit bigger than 19 h.p. have been built: have even been used on locomotives with GE electrical gear. The 660hp Alco 539 used on S1 and S2 switchers had no blower.
--
I have heard of the scheme of de-activating some of the cylinders of an engine (didn't NS make some "GP4.5" switchers by using only half the cylinders of the engine on GP-9 locomotives?), and an FDL-8 is known to be a workable engine for a roadswitcher (as "MEC 407" reminds us!), so I suppose that's a possibility too.
 #750128  by Mr.S

Allen Hazen wrote:"Naturally" aspirated diesels a bit bigger than 19 h.p. have been built: have even been used on locomotives with GE electrical gear. The 660hp Alco 539 used on S1 and S2 switchers had no blower.
--
I have heard of the scheme of de-activating some of the cylinders of an engine (didn't NS make some "GP4.5" switchers by using only half the cylinders of the engine on GP-9 locomotives?), and an FDL-8 is known to be a workable engine for a roadswitcher (as "MEC 407" reminds us!), so I suppose that's a possibility too.
MEC No. 407 I think was a GENERAL ELECTRIC U18B, which Maine Central classed their order of GE U18B's in the Independence class. At this point I am not sure how many GE U18 B's were built. Yes, NS did have a GP4.5 at one time..
 #750201  by MEC407

DutchRailnut wrote:my guess is these engines will be repowered with railroad version of this:
http://skamek.com/default.asp?page=6621 ... 160&lang=2 its a 6 or 8 cylinder FDL inline
That's actually the marine version of the GEVO, not the FDL. But you're right, GE has been talking about an inline-6 version of the GEVO for rail applications, and it would be 2000 HP. (An inline-6 FDL [not sure if one has ever been built?] would be about 1650 HP at best. You'd need to move up to the V8 FDL to get into the 2000-2200 HP range.)
 #750202  by MEC407

Mr.S wrote:At this point I am not sure how many GE U18 B's were built.
163 U18Bs were built for the North American market (U.S. and Mexico).
 #750219  by DutchRailnut

MEC407 wrote:That's actually the marine version of the GEVO, not the FDL. But you're right, GE has been talking about an inline-6 version of the GEVO for rail applications, and it would be 2000 HP. (An inline-6 FDL [not sure if one has ever been built?] would be about 1650 HP at best. You'd need to move up to the V8 FDL to get into the 2000-2200 HP range.)

Thanks for correction, my interst in this engine actually would be to repower the 8 CDOT P40's.
they could get rid of the 4200 FDL oil user and replace it with a 2400 hp 8 Cyl inline.
This would be more than sufficient to power the 4 or 5 car SLE trains, and the P40's will need a mojor overhaul in future anyway, the fuel savings and reduced maintenance and oil use would pay for the new engine in a few years.
 #750228  by MEC407

The inline-8 GEVO is interesting, but it seems to me that a V8 GEVO would be a more useful option for repowering older locomotives, mainly because it wouldn't take up was much space as an inline-8. And with the extra space you'd have from using a V8 instead of an I-8 (or the original V16), you would be able to install an auxiliary HEP engine, rather than using the main engine for HEP, which would further reduce emissions, fuel use, and wear & tear. It would also provide a more quiet environment for you to work in, Mr. Dutch. :-D
 #750244  by DutchRailnut

The inline engine would be same lenght as the current 16 cyl beast in the P40.
putting a aux HEP engine in a P40 would not only be a challange because of radiator section now used for traction motor blower and compressor.
but were to put the HEP radiator section ?? a inverter based HEP system like the P32acdm would be a better solution .

as for noise it would not get much quiter in a P40 as they are very quite now, and my hearing is shot after 12 and 26 years with diesels and machinery ;-)