Railroad Forums 

• CSX Augusta sub

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#58034  by ashley2771

I was traveling through South Carolina recently and passed through Yemassee, a small town on the A-line between Charleston and Savannah with an Amtrak stop and some large sidings.

The Augusta sub merges into the A-line at Yesmassee coming from the east. I noticed nonfunctioning signal on the Augusta sub near Yemassee. Is the Augusta sub not signaled? Is there that little traffic on it?

#58954  by ACLfan

Ashley2771,

As I recall, that particular signal is dark until a train is in the vicinity. CSX still has many sections of signals that do not remain lit after trains have passed by, and will not show a light until a train is approaching from either direction. That's one clue that I rely on to determine if there is going to be any train action along a particular stretch of track.

It is also possible that section of the Augusta Sub has temporarily (or permanently) reverted to dark territory with dispatcher-controlled blocks. Surprisingly, a lot of relatively heavily traveled sections of CSX trackage do not have CTC signalling, but are controlled by DTC blocks.

ACLfan

#58958  by crazy_nip

the entire A-Line from Tampa to Richmond is signaled and active

most of these signals are approach lit

which means all the signals except "home signals" are dark unless there is a train in the block, or a block away

this is very common on ex-SCL trackage both SAL and ACL

#60198  by Robert Paniagua

That's right, guys. Those are also known as "approach signals". We had such signals here in the Boston Area, but they recently changed them to be lit all times now.