Railroad Forums 

• CSX and Pan Am present...

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1056264  by jay.barnes

I wonder what NS would think of their partnering with their chief competitors rd in the northeast.....or are Class I railroads not as competitive or exclusive as I assume them to be?
 #1056267  by newpylong

I am sure they aren't pumped but it doesn't really effect NS much at this point. Their bread and butter has always been Ayer West. They are just losing out on some haulage and switch fees at Deerfield but they knew that would happen when they became a seperate railroad.
 #1056277  by jaymac

PAR just may end functioning as Shared Assets/Northeast. Sometimes cooperation can be more cost-effective than competition.
 #1056282  by CN9634

roberttosh wrote:I was thinking it was an intermodal announcement about a new Waterville service; maybe that's next?
This is part of that.
 #1056323  by roberttosh

CN9634 wrote:
roberttosh wrote:I was thinking it was an intermodal announcement about a new Waterville service; maybe that's next?
This is part of that.
Hmm, it didn't mention it on the release that I could see? Will there be another announcement soon; and when do you expect the service to start?
 #1056368  by fogg1703

I notice they list MNR trackage as Pan Am haulage rights and the mills in Madawaska, East Millinocket and Millinocket as CSX "served." CSX is starting to exploit the increasingly chummy Irving/PAR relationship. Watch out CN.
 #1056459  by markhb

fogg1703 wrote:I notice they list MNR trackage as Pan Am haulage rights and the mills in Madawaska, East Millinocket and Millinocket as CSX "served." CSX is starting to exploit the increasingly chummy Irving/PAR relationship. Watch out CN.
I noticed they showed the full length of the Mountain Division as a "connecting railroad." I can't read the reporting mark they put on that line, though.
 #1056461  by MEC407

It says "SOM" (State of Maine) on the Maine portion, and "SONH" (State of New Hampshire) on the NH portion.
 #1056562  by MEC407

At this point the BML has more potential traffic than the Mountain Division!