Railroad Forums 

• CSX and Military Reserve Service

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1266821  by mdr406

Hello all, I assume this question is best answered be current CSX employees. I was recently hired by CSX, and I will be enlisting in the military reserves by 2015. Basic training is about 2-3 months, followed by about 12 weeks of AIT (Advanced Individual Training), where specific sills will be learned. Obviously, there is a federal law that employers cannot discriminate or fire people for military service, but I know that this can sometimes be a hassle. I also know that according to the CSX's most recent corporate and social responsibility report, 1 out of 5 or 20% of employees have served in the military.

How is CSX/management when it comes to employees serving in the military reserves? Does it affect an employee in any way at CSX by serving in the military reserves? Feel free to PM me if you are uncomfortable posting publicly on the forum.

Thanks in advance.
 #1266839  by COEN77

That's a new one. I've known people who joined the military (active duty) while working for CSX. In those cases CSX will hold the seniority for one hitch (peace time). During times of war they'll hold seniority for the duration. Reserves shouldn't be a problem, but I've never personally heard of anyone joining the reserves after hiring on to CSX. I know plenty that hired on that were already in the reserves and seeing CSX is military friendly there's no problems.
 #1267078  by supernova1972

I know there is a code to mark off for weekend drills and your one week (I guess that's what it is?) but I have never heard of anyone doing it after they hired on. You'd have to run that by HR.