Railroad Forums 

• CSOR up the river line to Htfd

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#54625  by etna9726b

Tuesday around 12:40 PM, caught CSOR running a trash train up the river line to North Hartford. Ran right under the riverfront pedestrian bridge thru the series short tunnels under I-91.

Did this come from Middletown, and would this be a regular daily run ? First time I've seen action all the times I jogged thru there at lunch.
Come to think of it, isn't that P&W row ?

Etna

#54682  by shadyjay

CSOR has rights on the Conn Valley line down to the area around the regional market / Brainard Road area. South of that vicinity, the track is owned by ConnDOT and "operated" by the Providence & Worcester. However, since this track was reactivated, there has been only one move on it - since the Conrail Express agreement prohibits CSOR from interchanging with anyone but Conrail (now CSX).

Ridiculous this is, but it does explain why there are some ridiculous routings for equipment. A car from Hartford to Portland for instance has to go north to Springfield, east to Worcester, then down P&W rails to Amtrak in New London, then to New Haven, then up to Portland. If these railroads could change their interchange rights, and that CE agreement abolished, there'd be more freight activity on the upper Conn Valley Line in CT. I'm sure someone else here could correct me if I'm wrong, or elaborate.

-Jay Hogan

#54894  by CSX Conductor

ShadyJay is right, alot of cars put on way too many extra miles.... and actually a car that arrives into CSXT's West Springfield Yard from the CSO would not go to the P&W from W. Springfield.

It would go 100 miles west to Selkirk,NY. Be classified on the hump and blocked with P&W's and then begin it's journey east to the P&W.

Basically, if the car gets to W. Springfield on Monday afternoon, it will get to Selkirk early Tuesday morning, and probably not get to the P&W in Worcester until Thursday. :(

#55197  by Pj

Word has it that they are working on getting around or out of the agreement. That was the rumor about 6-9 months ago.

Again a rumor, but I am sure its hurting both of them..