Railroad Forums 

• CSAO on the NEC between Trenton and Philly

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1060535  by acelaphillies

Hey guys,
I am not much of the freight expert, I know much more about Amtrak operations but anyway I had a question about freight on the NEC. I like to railfan the Northeast Corridor and every now and then I will see a freight train on the mostly passenger dominated corridor. They basically all have NS locos (ususally GP38-2 or GP40-2) and sometimes a loco is on each end. I am under the impression these are Conrail Shared Assets Trains. Does somebody have info about these trains (where they run, when they run, and how often)? Any info is appreciated. Also about how many CRSAO trains are run on the NEC in this area daily? I know some of them come out of Morrisville. What are routes for some of the other trains? Thanks.
-Daniel
Last edited by acelaphillies on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1060594  by amtrakhogger

CSAO runs several locals that serve the Corridor between Trenton and Philly. At least two locals come out if Morrisville Yard to serve sidings at Grundy and Croy Interlockings, these are usually PBS-3 and PBS-13 while one local (FJ-10) comes out of Frankford Junction Yard to serve the Bustleton Branch at Holmes and sometimes running up to Eddington Siding. Power usually is NS GP38-2's or SW1001's but every now and then a GP40-2 will show up. CSX power makes an appearance once and a while (usually GP38's.)
 #1061267  by amtrakhogger

acelaphillies wrote:I have also seen picures of locals by Bristol, what trains are these? Also, are all tbe locals on the NEC Conrail or are some of them NS?
Those locals are Conrail but almost exclusively rate NS power.