Railroad Forums 

• Crude Oil Trains

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1195489  by tj48

Just a question. I've seen many pictures of the crude oil trains... http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3512630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Why do they all have a freight car ( boxcar, covered hopper) between the diesels and the train? I'm guessing they're buffer cars but I'm wondering why they're needed?
 #1195526  by FarmallBob

Every unit ethanol train also has a buffer car.

Usually it's a boxcar or covered hopper. I have however seen an occasional tank car prominently marked "WATER" used as a buffer.

...FB
 #1195633  by tj48

LocoCam wrote:Boom!

If they are there for 'boom' purposes, in the event of a derailment or wreck how does only 1 car between the diesels and a entire train of loaded tank cars full of oil or ethnol prevent 'boom'?
 #1195841  by LocoCam

tj48 wrote:
LocoCam wrote:Boom!

If they are there for 'boom' purposes, in the event of a derailment or wreck how does only 1 car between the diesels and a entire train of loaded tank cars full of oil or ethnol prevent 'boom'?
I'll gladly take the extra 80' away from the rear unit to help keep spills from the power & get me that much further from fumes, 2 cars for buffer are starting to be more common.
 #1222571  by GOLDEN-ARM

buffers are required by law, is why you see them. should be 5, but as spike mentions, you use what you have. since they use only 2, one goes on each end. i spent the first half of this year, running them, in dp service. good times. :-D