Railroad Forums 

• croxton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1231889  by northjerseybuff

Is NS still planning to expand Croxton? to connect the old yard to the new yard? or was this done. Hard to see with the new County Rd overpass in
Lots of trucks leaving the USPS complex. Too bad NS or CSX couldn't do something with them. Wasn't it built to be served by the railroads?
GOYA has a HUGE complex going up nearby as well
 #1231895  by SecaucusJunction

The people at Croxton told me they do good business with that USPS facility... I believe through third party carriers. Also, the North yard at Croxton should be expanding by 2 tracks to accommodate the new Goya complex. This new business was gifted to NS.
 #1238918  by Off Pending

SecaucusJunction wrote:The people at Croxton told me they do good business with that USPS facility... I believe through third party carriers. Also, the North yard at Croxton should be expanding by 2 tracks to accommodate the new Goya complex. This new business was gifted to NS.
Right, which is why when I go to Croxton, I never see USPS trucks crossing the street into the facility. Also, the "new" Goya complex on County Road is not getting service from NS. The expansion is to serve the existing Goya warehouse, adjacent to the "New Yard."

Your claim that the new business was "gifted" to NS is laughable, at best.
 #1238958  by SecaucusJunction

You can say what you want, but I'm telling you what NS folks have specifically told me. The Goya facility is indeed the one by the new yard. They decided to expand and Asked NS to serve the facility. There will be a new siding installed and 2 new tracks in the yard.
 #1239373  by Off Pending

SecaucusJunction wrote:You can say what you want, but I'm telling you what NS folks have specifically told me. The Goya facility is indeed the one by the new yard. They decided to expand and Asked NS to serve the facility. There will be a new siding installed and 2 new tracks in the yard.
You are preaching to the choir. I've seen the maps and blueprints firsthand ... as I have for other things in the pipeline, that I am not at liberty to discuss because it would violate the terms of my employment.

Just understand that your sources may not always have the correct information. Unless it comes from someone with direct knowledge of a particular project, even the employees tend to distort facts and twist them into things they are not. I deal with that stuff all the time. If I had $1 for every bogus rumor that I heard a coworker repeat, I could have retired a wealthy man by now.

For the record, very little USPS traffic comes from the facility across the street from Croxton. I believe the USPS stuff on County Road is mostly international and bulk mail that NS doesn't carry.
 #1317029  by Sir Ray

Reviving this thread as I was reminded of it by a story today about the former Goya distribution center in Bethpage NY being renovated.

A year+ down the road, what if anything has played out? Did Goya build a new rail served facility, or not? Search results from 2014 are somewhat conflicting and fragmentary.

From the March 2014 Goya press release, the relevant part concerning the New Jersey expansion:
Goya’s new Northeast headquarters in New Jersey, scheduled to open in fall of 2014 and totaling nearly 900,000 square feet, will be Goya’s largest expansion in the company’s history. The new site in Jersey City will feature office space and a warehouse totaling 638,000 square feet on 40 acres of undeveloped land and the fully renovated 240,000 square foot facility in Secaucus will be armed with a new rice packaging line to produce 600 bags of Goya rice mixes per minute, six times faster than its current production
This doesn't explicitly mention rail freight access.
 #1317081  by Steve F45

I haven't seen any rails going to this massive Goya building across from croxton. If anything, i would think the NYSW would better serve it with a track going in the back area rather than putting in a crossing on that busy road.
 #1317090  by Sir Ray

OK, I found another press article from June of last year (2014), describing the progress made on the new facility with an image of it looking nearly complete. No rail siding in the image that I can determine.

However:
The company is renovating its 240,000-square-foot Secaucus building and will continue to use it. Goya is working with the Norfolk Southern rail company and state transit officials to restore freight service that was suspended about 20 years ago to the Secaucus production and packaging facility, which would reduce the cost to transport raw goods in and ship out finished products from that location, Unanue said.
This facility is located at 100 Seaview Dr in Secaucus, pretty much right off the railroad (there is evidence that a industrial siding ran alongside, as a spur still exists at a facility 2 buildings north of Goya.