Railroad Forums 

• Cross Country Drive

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#845378  by RailroadCrossing

I will be driving from Baltimore to Oregon essentially. Leaving in about 3 hours (late notice, but I have wifi, so i can check).

FIrst Leg will be from Baltimore-Madison WI, I'm going to see the WCOR. Is there anything else between here and there? I've basically been to many places in Chicago, and wont have much time before madison, but if there is anything really great, might be worth a stop by.

From Madison WI i will be going to St. Paul. From St. Paul, over to Fargo, Bismark, down to rapid city, to bozeman, to Missoula, ove down to boise, then back somehow.

I understand this isnt that detailed, But i figured if anyone knew any shortlines in these areas, or between, it would be awesome. I'd really like to see some things on this trip. That would be awesome.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.
 #845715  by mtuandrew

RailroadCrossing wrote:I will be driving from Baltimore to Oregon essentially. Leaving in about 3 hours (late notice, but I have wifi, so i can check).

FIrst Leg will be from Baltimore-Madison WI, I'm going to see the WCOR. Is there anything else between here and there? I've basically been to many places in Chicago, and wont have much time before madison, but if there is anything really great, might be worth a stop by.

From Madison WI i will be going to St. Paul. From St. Paul, over to Fargo, Bismark, down to rapid city, to bozeman, to Missoula, ove down to boise, then back somehow.

I understand this isnt that detailed, But i figured if anyone knew any shortlines in these areas, or between, it would be awesome. I'd really like to see some things on this trip. That would be awesome.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.
If you have a bit of time near Madison, I'd suggest stopping at the East Troy Electric Railway.

In the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, definitely take a look at the Minnesota Commercial Ry. and their collection of Alcos and GEs. If you stop into their office, they'll let you sign a waiver and wander around their yard - just don't be dumb about it :wink:. I'm partial to the Minnesota Transportation Museum and the Minnesota Streetcar Museum too, and it might be worth heading down to Progressive Rail's facilities south of the Twin Cities.

Not too familiar with what's further west, but good luck. Maybe you can see some of Montana RailLink's yard if you ask nicely.
 #845784  by RailroadCrossing

Thanks! Going to see the WSOR in Madison in the morning. Then off to Minneapolis to see the PGR hopefully, and maybe catch the northstar service. Then off to north and south dakota, not sure what I'm going to see there, but Hopefully soem good stuff. Then to see Montana Rail Link, really looking forward to it.