Railroad Forums 

• Crew Dispatcher Position

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1313117  by prin

Can anyone tell me more about the crew dispatcher position? General comments are welcomed, but I'd specifically like to know about Norfolk Southern and how the varied 24/7 works. Are crew dispatchers on call like conductors? Have to be there within 2 hours? When do you know your schedule? Can anyone give me an example schedule of a crew dispatcher?

I can't seem to find much info about this job.
 #1313230  by GE45tonner

They probably work in shifts (1st trick 7pm-3pm, 2nd trick 3pm-11pm, 3rd trick 11pm-7 pm). I doubt there are crew dispatchers for the crew dispatchers lol.
 #1313273  by prin

GE45tonner wrote:They probably work in shifts (1st trick 7pm-3pm, 2nd trick 3pm-11pm, 3rd trick 11pm-7 pm). I doubt there are crew dispatchers for the crew dispatchers lol.
Lol! That's what I was thinking too but the "varied 24/7 shifts" threw me off. And I saw someone say they were on call too and I saw extra board mentioned, but I haven't been able to find out very much about the position.
 #1314468  by truck6018

There's probably an extra list for crew dispatchers in the event someone marks off, they go to the list for coverage, hence the on call 24/7.