Railroad Forums 

• Crew change points

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1156710  by Fatal

I was recently invited to a testing session out of Avondale, LA (New Orleans) for Train Crew. I know I still have to do the testing, interview, and all that other good pre-employment stuff, but I was wondering where the crew change point was after leaving Avondale? Thanks in advance!
 #1159191  by Pj

It may "depend" on what pool you can hold unless you go right to the extraboard (in my location the extraboard is a high(er) senority board). From what I can see from my old trip rate sheet, Avondale runs to Lafayette and Avondale to Livonia. The Livonia run looks like a shorter (milage) run so chances are if hired and able to hold a pool job, you'd end up on that. The Lafayette run looks like a higher milage hence pays about $100 more so most likely a higher senority job.

Also keep in mind, that even though you may hire out in Avondale, if needs are greater at another terminal within the senority zone you may have to work out of that terminal before you can hold where you hired out. I'm currently holding a terminal on a part time basis 100+ miles from where I live as I can't hold where I hired out (2 years ago). The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer to hold at home - but it depends on retirements, traffic and local agreements.