Railroad Forums 

• cranky cars

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#177038  by n2xjk

What are the cranky cars at Strasburg RR? I was there for the ARM convention, and a few people mentioned cranky cars, but I never saw them. I'm guessing they didn't see the gloom of day due to the deluge. (Oct 7)

#180612  by Aa3rt

Christian S-Thanks for the link! I remember riding similar cars at Midway Park in Maple Springs, Chautauqua County, NY over 40 years ago. A quick check of their website: http://www.midway-park.com shows that the ride still exists, listed as "Hand Cars" produced by Hodges Kiddie Rides. Unfortunately, a cursory check of the website didn't reveal any photos of this attraction.

BTW-the website states that Midway Park is one of 5 "Trolley Parks" still operating in the US.
 #180919  by n2xjk

Now I know what a cranky car is. Thanks.

#180979  by Christian S.

No problem. Glad I could help!

-Christian

#181418  by TheBaran

These cars can also be found at Knoebels Amusement Park in Elysburg, Pa. (www.knoebels.com - click on kiddy rides)

Description of the Knobel cars..."Children love this ride that allows the small rider to crank around a track. The Hand Cars were purchased from Hodge's Handcars in 1955 and additional cars purchased later from Lakewood Park in Barnesville, PA. Knoebels (and a partner) had purchased Hodges Handcars later and renamed it the KAR company"