Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1563301  by Rustygunz60

CJPat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:33 pm Thanks Rustygunz60. That's good info I was not aware of.
I second R&DB's suggestion regarding Trail of the Blue Comet. Most of what I know regarding the line is from that book. I've read it at least three times since getting it about 20 years ago and learn more each time. Considering the fact that it's about the size of a medium-sized phone book (remember them? :-) ), it can take several readings to absorb even a fraction of the info therein.

Geeze, did I really use the word therein?????
 #1563309  by R&DB

#1563301 by Rustygunz60
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:37 pm
Welcome to the conversation. Trail of the Blue Comet unfortunately is no longer in print. If one can find a used copy, it's going to cost several hundred $. If the original writers and publishers were smart they would scan a copy and re-publish, paper or digitally.
I have several other books concerning the railroads in Monmouth and Ocean counties that have great information. The history of the Southern and it's branches and connections is very interesting.
And now with the State grant to Dover and Delaware we are witnessing another turning point in that history. We all should document this new evolution when and where we can for the next generation of railfans.
 #1563326  by Sir Ray

Rustygunz60 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:37 pm I second R&DB's suggestion regarding Trail of the Blue Comet. Most of what I know regarding the line is from that book. I've read it at least three times since getting it about 20 years ago and learn more each time. Considering the fact that it's about the size of a medium-sized phone book (remember them? :-) ), it can take several readings to absorb even a fraction of the info therein.
I concur as well, as I have also re-read my copy that I got decades ago, prompted by (to me) an upturn in activity in this forum some months ago. The beginning is sedate enough, because the Jersey pinelands of the 1840s didn't have much industry beyond a few iron smelters and some agriculture products. The story moves along thru the ages and various take-overs, mergers, bankruptcies, and so on (yes the Blue Comet itself get a chapter - I found it amusing that some of the Blue Comet passenger stock ended up repurposed as yard offices later on). I found the later chapters (Post WWII) the most interesting, not only due to discussion of operations, but as things start out decent but begin falling apart (literally as well as financially) - one big killer was New Jersey property taxation, and while that was eventually addressed to a degree, it wasn't the only issue. The book's narrative* ends on a rather pessimistic note at the time of it's writing (c1993), 17 years after the ConRail take over (and after several branches were sold off to short-lines). Let's put it this way, the last narrative chapter (chapter lucky 13) is called "Till The Sands Run Out", and it isn't upbeat at the end (and since then even more traffic was lost, e.g. Ciba BAST in Tom's River, although not ConRail's fault). It's been 27 years since the book's publication, is this the time when its dire predictions are proved wrong (I dunno, I'll guess we'll see)

*OK, I say narrative as there is a following chapter on maritime operations of ferries and steam ships, as well as appendices covering stations and locomotive rosters of the 19th century predecessors.
 #1563392  by Tanker1497

I have a copy of a book( Jersey Central Lines A Pictorial Review )
Edward F Garner 1974
But my copy is an pre-published version giving to a guy who helped Ed create the book.
When I bought it I was enformed that this Pre published version has items in it that the published one doesn't.
Its an advance(d) reader copies carries no page numbers, has corrections penciled in that would not show on final printing.
Trouble is I seem to not to be able to locate a published one to compare the two.
 #1563403  by R&DB

1563392 by Tanker1497
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 am
Tanker;
If you are sure it was published, try the Ocean County Library. If that fails try the Library of Congress. Many publications are either on-line or reproductions can be purchased from them.
 #1563414  by Tanker1497

R&DB wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:33 pm
1563392 by Tanker1497
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 am
Tanker;
If you are sure it was published, try the Ocean County Library. If that fails try the Library of Congress. Many publications are either on-line or reproductions can be purchased from them.
Thanks someone send me a link to the published version it was done Quarto form or loose leaf pamphlet style!
 #1563530  by RailsEast

Off topic here, but (hopefully) pertinent to the Southern Secondary; this was in my inbox from the NJ Business & Industry Association today...

"Yesterday (2/16/21) , the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) reversed a Trump administration policy that didn’t allow states or local entities to use federal loans as part of their funding match to get federal grants. Those opposed to the Trump policy say that it stalled progress on projects such the construction of new Hudson River tunnels.

Under the Trump administration guidance, first announced in June 2018, federal loans taken out by local project partners no longer counted as part of the local share for Capital Investment Grant (CIG) projects. According to Gov. Phil Murphy, this made it harder for states to finance their portions of transit infrastructure improvements, such as the Hudson Tunnel Project.

“Yesterday’s action will provide flexibility for the financing of the Gateway Program and other Northeast Corridor projects including for the construction of two new tunnels under the Hudson River,” Murphy said. “I spoke with [Transportation] Secretary Pete Buttigieg recently and raised my concerns on this funding issue with him directly, and I am pleased to see this action taken.”
 #1563540  by Bracdude181

4 to 6 inches of snow expected tomorrow, and an ice storm on top of it.

Running tomorrow sounds kinda stupid tbh. Why didn’t they just run today and have SA22 or SA3 do freehold?
 #1563675  by Bracdude181

There will not be a train on the Southern Secondary today. Expect an extra crew this weekend. It will either be SA91 or SA93. Best way to know if/when it’s coming is to monitor the Coast Line Dispatch radio frequency.

If you don’t have a scanner or are out of the radio antenna range for the Coast Line, this website is a decent compromise:

https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/22265