Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1557042  by RailsEast

"@RailsEast Interesting. My sources told me otherwise. Poly One ils still out there, but now it's some sort of electrical supply place."

Bracdood, your many 'sources' are a product of your imagination. I have very personal, very inside info about Poly One and the subsequent tenant, Belfer Lighting. They were both my customers and I visited the plant regularly for the past 25 years. Poly One is no longer there, period. Belfer had no need for rail service at any time. Your pontification about the Southern, as if you were an actual authority on the line, is very often misleading.

And, yes, C&D was interested in the line but the pandemic has pushed everything back a year or more. Any Southern suitor has to deal with Conrail and also the NJ Department of Transportation (not New Jersey Transit) who actually owns the property before they go before the STB. And yes, the Navy base figures into the survival of the line to at least Farmingdale if Woodhaven were to bow out completely.

Chris
 #1557043  by NY&LB

I actually heard that's why they stopped bringing cars to Builders General in Toms River.
NOPE

The wooden bridge just to the west of the GSP in Toms River (gone now but where it was is still clearly visible) was in bad shape and could no longer support a train. Too expensive to repair for one customer.

"Freight from Red Bank to Bay Head" ,,,,WHO ARE THE CUSTOMERS????????

And YES NWS Earle needs a rail connection to the outside world. In fact, they needed TWO at one time, the other was the CNJ Atlantic Highlands line that connected to the base at wharf-side (Rt 36 base entrance).
 #1557046  by Bracdude181

@RailsEast I'm a little confused here. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by these places being "your" customers?

@NY&LB That was only what I heard. I still don't have a definitive answer as to why they stopped serving Builders General in Toms River.

As for a South Amboy to Bay Head freight train, I have a list of potential customers. However, it's getting late and I need to hit the hay soon. I'll try to get the list up tomorrow.

You know, since we often discuss more than just the Southern on here, does anyone think it would be okay to rename this forum "Conrail in Central New Jersey" or to make another forum with that title?
 #1557048  by JohnFromJersey

@NY&LB
Do you have any coordinates on that bridge you were talking about?

@RailsEast
Was C&D actually going to buy it were they restrained by the stuff Bracdude said? Again, I believe going from Amboy to Jamesburg and then to Farmingdale via the Freehold route would take care of the Plate F and weight restrictions.
 #1557051  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey I think this is where the bridge was at. 39°57'09"N 74°12'36"W

Also, Farmingdale to Freehold is good for Plate F. However, that's only part of the problem.

The current transfer to Sayreville uses a route that can only take Plate E cars,(Up to 16 feet 3 inches tall) The cheapest way to fix this would be to put a wye in Monmouth Junction and go into Sayreville the back way. A few bridges along the NEC would also need a bit of work to take the weight of 286,000 pound cars, but that's it. The whole thing could probably be done for less than a million dollars.
 #1557059  by NY&LB

You know, since we often discuss more than just the Southern on here, does anyone think it would be okay to rename this forum "Conrail in Central New Jersey" or to make another forum with that title?
Absolutely NOT!

Start another thread - go for it.
 #1557061  by Coast Line Railfan

NY&LB wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 pm
I actually heard that's why they stopped bringing cars to Builders General in Toms River.
NOPE

The wooden bridge just to the west of the GSP in Toms River (gone now but where it was is still clearly visible) was in bad shape and could no longer support a train. Too expensive to repair for one customer.

"Freight from Red Bank to Bay Head" ,,,,WHO ARE THE CUSTOMERS????????

And YES NWS Earle needs a rail connection to the outside world. In fact, they needed TWO at one time, the other was the CNJ Atlantic Highlands line that connected to the base at wharf-side (Rt 36 base entrance).
Only two answers that don't really count, Builders' General in Little Silver (who's spur is nothing but a jungle now) and the Asbury Park Press in Asbury (Who has no location near there anymore).
 #1557063  by Coast Line Railfan

JohnFromJersey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:00 am @NY&LB
Do you have any coordinates on that bridge you were talking about?

@RailsEast
Was C&D actually going to buy it were they restrained by the stuff Bracdude said? Again, I believe going from Amboy to Jamesburg and then to Farmingdale via the Freehold route would take care of the Plate F and weight restrictions.
The route you described would not take care of the restrictions, because the source of the cars is coming from the North Jersey Coast Line anyway, which has the obvious height restrictions. The weight restrictions haven't affected the customers so far, so I still stand that they aren't an issue right now.
 #1557065  by JohnFromJersey

NY&LB wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 am
Absolutely NOT!

Start another thread - go for it.
We're almost at 600 pages! Let's not jump ship yet...
 #1557068  by CharlieL

I think the bridge you are referencing was used to service Trilco Terminal, a builders supply business now defunct located just off rte 9. It would have had no bearing on supplying Builders General as that is located a couple of miles up track towards Lakehurst.
 #1557069  by CJPat

NY&LB wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 pm
NOPE

NY&LB, If the bridge at 39°57'09"N 74°12'36"W is truly what you are referring to as the reason Builder's General was cancelled as a customer, then something is amiss. The building materials company that was receiving loads until the end of the use of the TRIT (late 2000's?) was located across Rt 37 from Ceiba-Geigy. The local accessed the siding via the spur into Ceiba-Geigy's property that crossed Rt 37, and as I recall, would bring Rt 37 to a halt as they had to foul the RR crossing to back into the siding with the deliveries.

This is all located some 6,000-7,000 ft west of the bridge that was noted so this bridge had no impact. 40 years ago, there was another building supply company in south Toms River that received deliveries. Is this what you were thinking of?
 #1557086  by NY&LB

This is all located some 6,000-7,000 ft west of the bridge that was noted so this bridge had no impact. 40 years ago, there was another building supply company in south Toms River that received deliveries. Is this what you were thinking of?
YUP...Trilco Terminal
 #1557087  by Bracdude181

In line with the recent discussion on Coast Line freight, I'd like to give my two cents.

I can't say why Conrail stopped serving Builders General in Little Silver, as that place is fairly large and always busy. There's a siding long enough for 3 centerbeams or 3 boxcars. Asbury Park Press moved to Freehold, which is probably why they stopped getting cars in Bradley Beach Yard.

As for the potential of a South Amboy to Bay Head freight train, it is possible. Unfortunately it will probably never happen due to Conrail and NJ Transits FIREY hatred of each other, but for a moment here let's assume that such a train existed in 2020. Here's how it could work.

Let's assume we have a train with the Symbol of WPSA-37. This crew would work Monday and Thursday nights, and would get to the Church Running Track at 8 PM and wait until evening rush hour ends. Around 9 PM, they would get on the Coast Line and begin moving south. Between South Amboy and Bay Head, the following customers can get rail service:

Builders General in Little Silver
John Guire Supply Co in Long Branch
Toll Compaction in Asbury Park
Mazza Recycling in Bradley Beach
Dunphey-Smith Company in Manasquan (HVAC and plumbing supplier/wholesaler)

In addition, rail to truck transloading can be done in some of the yards and sidings along the way to reach other nearby businesses, alleviating the need for a rail siding.

The train would then turn around via the loop in Bay Head. Crew can take a short break here if they need to, then begin the trip up north. Transloading can be done here too.

On the return run, the following business can be drilled:

Jaeger Lumber in Belmar
The Siding Depot in Asbury Park
Seals Eastern in Red Bank (rubber seal manufacturer/distributor)
Voyant Beauty in Centerville. (This place is a beauty product factory/distributior and would be the largest customer on the Coast Line)

Once done, the train will return to South Amboy and head back to Sayreville.

While all this is possible, it would be a tricky job as the crew would be under some pressure to at the very least finish drilling customers before morning rush hour starts, so they can stay out of the way of commuter trains. It would also be a good idea to have a contingency plan incase a train breaks down and has to be towed or something.

Another downside is the weight limit on all points south of South Amboy, which I'm almost certain is 263,000 pounds. Plate F wouldn't exactly be a problem here, as most of these customers are small. Only the larger customers might suffer from this slightly, as the biggest car they can get is a 60 foot Plate E boxcar. (Similar to the IBTX cars we see on the Southern)

The transloading thing I mentioned can be done in the many yards, sidings, and team tracks along the line. However, not all can be utilized as Transit needs places to park MOW trains and equipment. This is something that NJT and Conrail would have to work out if such a service is ever started.

The whole thing would require Conrail and NJ Transit to work together, which is something they can't do in the slightest.

So what do y'all think? Is this possible? I certainly think it is, provided it's done correctly and how willing North Jersey is to provide good service.
 #1557094  by Coast Line Railfan

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:35 am In line with the recent discussion on Coast Line freight, I'd like to give my two cents.

I can't say why Conrail stopped serving Builders General in Little Silver, as that place is fairly large and always busy. There's a siding long enough for 3 centerbeams or 3 boxcars. Asbury Park Press moved to Freehold, which is probably why they stopped getting cars in Bradley Beach Yard.

As for the potential of a South Amboy to Bay Head freight train, it is possible. Unfortunately it will probably never happen due to Conrail and NJ Transits FIREY hatred of each other, but for a moment here let's assume that such a train existed in 2020. Here's how it could work.

Let's assume we have a train with the Symbol of WPSA-37. This crew would work Monday and Thursday nights, and would get to the Church Running Track at 8 PM and wait until evening rush hour ends. Around 9 PM, they would get on the Coast Line and begin moving south. Between South Amboy and Bay Head, the following customers can get rail service:

Builders General in Little Silver
John Guire Supply Co in Long Branch
Toll Compaction in Asbury Park
Mazza Recycling in Bradley Beach
Dunphey-Smith Company in Manasquan (HVAC and plumbing supplier/wholesaler)

In addition, rail to truck transloading can be done in some of the yards and sidings along the way to reach other nearby businesses, alleviating the need for a rail siding.

The train would then turn around via the loop in Bay Head. Crew can take a short break here if they need to, then begin the trip up north. Transloading can be done here too.

On the return run, the following business can be drilled:

Jaeger Lumber in Belmar
The Siding Depot in Asbury Park
Seals Eastern in Red Bank (rubber seal manufacturer/distributor)
Voyant Beauty in Centerville. (This place is a beauty product factory/distributior and would be the largest customer on the Coast Line)

Once done, the train will return to South Amboy and head back to Sayreville.

While all this is possible, it would be a tricky job as the crew would be under some pressure to at the very least finish drilling customers before morning rush hour starts, so they can stay out of the way of commuter trains. It would also be a good idea to have a contingency plan incase a train breaks down and has to be towed or something.

Another downside is the weight limit on all points south of South Amboy, which I'm almost certain is 263,000 pounds. Plate F wouldn't exactly be a problem here, as most of these customers are small. Only the larger customers might suffer from this slightly, as the biggest car they can get is a 60 foot Plate E boxcar. (Similar to the IBTX cars we see on the Southern)

The transloading thing I mentioned can be done in the many yards, sidings, and team tracks along the line. However, not all can be utilized as Transit needs places to park MOW trains and equipment. This is something that NJT and Conrail would have to work out if such a service is ever started.

The whole thing would require Conrail and NJ Transit to work together, which is something they can't do in the slightest.

So what do y'all think? Is this possible? I certainly think it is, provided it's done correctly and how willing North Jersey is to provide good service.
Yeesh, where do I start.

Builders' General, as with the Toms River location, stopped receiving cars likely due to costs and/or down sizing etc.

Before I go on, just because there are busines's within half a mile of the tracks, doesn't mean they need or want rail service. Keep in mind there are no spurs for any of these business, putting one in and then recieving one or two cars every week is not going to pay off the track and service for a lonnnnggggg time.

Some of these customer ideas don't even make any sense to me. As I've said before, who's gonna want to dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into a tiny spur? Keep in mind all the service disruptions that this will cause, thus another reason why it really can't happen on the operational side.

The Transloading Issue is about as realistic as the rest. The two places that you could even think about doing it at are already off the board. Neptune yard is usually occupied with MoW equipment, plus there is no space there for a transloading operation to take place. NJT is using all the space it has in Bay Head, leaving no room for any extra movement to occur. Keep in mind the residents are crying rivers as it is with the current noise and traffic levels with the passenger operations alone, much less any operations involving a lot of trucks on the road as a result of this transloading operation. As some people here have said before, between the NIMBYs and business themselves opting for no rail service, I don't see anyone working this out considering this is almost impossible.

Weight restrictions, again!! Oh boy . . . To put it into perspective, an average GP40-2 weighs between 250,000 to 260,000 pounds. The CNJ GP40s on Transit's roster approach the 260k mark. If these "restrictions" are in place, then why hasn't NJT banned its own engines from coming on the Coast Line. Considering these heavy locomotives traverse the line daily, whether it be on an equipment move or revenue train, it doesn't quite make sense to me that locomotives that are heavier than the "weight restrictions" are still running around problem free.
 #1557098  by R&DB

Builders General made a deal with Conrail to have their rail deliveries go to Freehold and move them from Freehold to Little Silver and Toms River by truck. Part of the deal was Conrail was to defray part of the cost of trucking. NJT was very happy with the deal as it eliminated the last Conrail customer on the Coast Line.