Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1499735  by NJT4149

Permission on Church at 3:00 PM
Waiting on an eastbound
Permission to open up at 3:31 PM
Lined and locked normal at 3:42 PM
 #1499804  by RailsEast

Clear of the Derail 4:20 PM. 4452 today.
Actual terminology is "Clear of the rusty rail", one of two responses the crew can give to the Coast Line dispatcher (the other being "Clear on the Southern") when their hind end is clear of the main. The switch for the Southern is considered 'rusty rail' when in the reverse position (lined for the Southern) due to it's infrequent use and possible inaccurate recording on the dispatcher's board. The NJT dispatcher can normally see when the train is off the main, and the CR crew responding just confirms everything.

There was one instance in the past few years where the CR crew neglected to report 'in the clear', and the NJT dispatcher spent several minutes trying to contact the crew, which had presumably already switched to the CR Southern Secondary frequency on their radio (160.860). I suppose someone got into a bit of hot water for that miscue.....
 #1499821  by Coast Line Railfan

RailsEast wrote:
Clear of the Derail 4:20 PM. 4452 today.
Actual terminology is "Clear of the rusty rail", one of two responses the crew can give to the Coast Line dispatcher (the other being "Clear on the Southern") when their hind end is clear of the main. The switch for the Southern is considered 'rusty rail' when in the reverse position (lined for the Southern) due to it's infrequent use and possible inaccurate recording on the dispatcher's board. The NJT dispatcher can normally see when the train is off the main, and the CR crew responding just confirms everything.

There was one instance in the past few years where the CR crew neglected to report 'in the clear', and the NJT dispatcher spent several minutes trying to contact the crew, which had presumably already switched to the CR Southern Secondary frequency on their radio (160.860). I suppose someone got into a bit of hot water for that miscue.....
Ah ok. The scanner was a bit choppy and I guess I didn't hear the whole thing. That clears it up . . .
 #1499909  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Current browns yard power as per 2/8/19, 5:00pm

CSX 6160 (Came in the yard today to replace 4412)
CSX 6228
CSX 4452

(Now we have 2 ex-cheesies, and 1 CR in the yard)
 #1500594  by pumpers

Coast Line Railfan wrote:SA31 clear Bergen Place 16:28 with CSX 6160 and NS 5285 and 18 - 17 for Woodhaven and 1 for Bel-Ray.
Sounds like the spring building season is ramping up quickly.