Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#7700  by OCtrainguy

Obviously, the speed restriction would have an impact on the SA31's running time. I wonder how much longer it will take them to get to Farmingdale and then down to Lakewood now from Red Bank. The CNJ put most of that track down in 1974/1975, and they got the track from the fourth track they removed on their main line (current day NJT Raritan Valley Line). Good question, too, about the Toms River Industrial. I know that already has a 10 mph speed restriction on it.

Thanks for the updates.

#7702  by wolfboy8171981

at 25 MPH it would take about an Hour and a half to go 38 miles.

at 10 MPH it will take 3hours and 50 minutes to go 38 miles. ( 7hours 40 minutes running time from BANK to Lakehurst to BANK. Add in time to work time to take lunch and travel time to from southern. In this railroaders opinion the one day one crew trips on the southern should be done for a while, most likely the SA-31 will be recrewed either at BANK or at the auction.

#7784  by Jtgshu

Hahaha.....I just had an evil thought......

I wonder how many times Conrail and the Coast Line dispatch is going to try to hurry you guys along to get only one crew out of it, and you end up blowing up somewhere between Red Bank and S. Amboy......

Right at Bank could be real fun!!! :D

Don't mind me, RR humor (well, at least to me)

#7806  by transit383

Well untill the one came down the southern all three were used around the yard. No one car is assigned to any job its just what ever one is available. We use the car(s): To shove to/from the Steel mill, from Silverline, and to Inland/PJS.
Silverline uses one of these now? That's one heck of a haul. Do you still use two locomotives on that train?

#8601  by CRRNJ878

Anyone know the last time tie replacement took place on the southern, or is at as needed situation? Somehow, i'm thinking the later...

rgds...
 #8864  by OCtrainguy

Hey, has anyone seen a train lately? Is the shoving platform still in Lakehurst? Has Columbia Propane received any new cars?

#10083  by CRRNJ878

Anything going on with the southern right now?...any further news on the sand train?....

#10097  by njt4172

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW....... :P

#10182  by nolifeCRchaser

Got a tip that the train was going through Farmingdale. I caught the train passing Fremont Ave with CSX GP-40-2 #4415 at around 5:05pm.

"BRING BACK THE SA35!!!"
 #10377  by OCtrainguy

[quote="nolifeCRchaser"]Got a tip that the train was going through Farmingdale. I caught the train passing Fremont Ave with CSX GP-40-2 #4415 at around 5:05pm. quote]

I am sure you were thrilled to see that engine again, too. :(

That unit, along with 4412, was a regular with the SA35 in the latter part of 2002. I had been informed that the 4415 was back at Browns Yard. With the days getting longer, photo opportunities are more feasible.

#10696  by Jtgshu

So is CR going to do any track upgrades/repairs on the Southern Sec, and any new news on the possible sand trains???

I haven't seen a CR bulletin order, is the speed restriction still in effect?

#12070  by creeker

OK i heard from a friend that works in Reb Bank that a rather LONG train of gondolas went threw today. He said they had a hard time in the S curves. They had the throttle way back. Did anyone else see it. As fare as i know Columbia has recived no further loads. Now what was that about brick cars?

-Eric

#12408  by Jtgshu

Because its so crappy out, I can hear the Coast Line pretty good from my house, about 3 miles away (I also now have a very good ear - haha) anyway, I just heard a horn blow for the Oak Hill or Navesink River Road xing and it definately is not a "normal" NJT horn, so I would think that a freight is going to be heading down the Southern in a few.

I could be wrong, it could be an NJT odditiy, but its about the time i would always pass the freights (well, actually a little late) on my old train. So keep your eyes open down there!

#13011  by CRRNJ878

Any news at all on the southern?...anybody know if those gondolas, as creeker mentioned, made there way down the southern and for what?

#13081  by nolifeCRchaser

CRRNJ878 wrote:Any news at all on the southern?...anybody know if those gondolas, as creeker mentioned, made there way down the southern and for what?
I went prowling around the Southern early tuesday morning and found new cars at 84 Lumber, Gold Lumber, Dinaso, and Woodhaven. Still one empty flat in NAS Lakehurst and the shove platform is still by the post office. The SA31 must have run on monday, although I could not see any shiny rail with all the rain. No cars at brick. There were/are no gondolas on the Southern or Industrial. Could the gondolas have been used at Bay Head Yard for the construction?

Perhaps the gondolas were part of the coal train that went to the Oyster Creek plant pulled by a pair of BN SD-70MAC's...wait, that was my imagination trying to escape again, I know it would not happen, but it would be great to see.
Last edited by nolifeCRchaser on Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.