Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1600773  by Tanker1497

NJTMonmouthCoastline wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:47 pm
Tanker1497 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:46 pm Funeral train? Picked up derailed cars in Rd Bank?
They did pick up the derailed cars. Not sure if it’s a funeral train lol :wink:
Anytime a RR takes all there cars and leaves... it's a funeral train.
I remember the CNJ cleaning up southern back in 1976. I was surprised some of the rolled.
 #1600878  by Bracdude181

This Thursday is expected to be the final run of Conrail SA31 (depending on crew availability) on this line, with C&D beginning operations next week.

This will probably be your last chance to see Conrail power/crews on this line. I don’t see them coming back at any point in the foreseeable future.
 #1601014  by JohnFromJersey

It is pretty wild to me that we're on the cusp of CR no longer servicing this line, after it served it for the better part of 50 years.

A couple of questions:
1. How does one go about "chasing" the train? I've never done it before, despite living near to the tracks for the better part of 10 years, and being able to (legally) drive for the better part of 5 of those ten years. I've only really chased it from Squankum Road to Asbury Rd (or vice versa), and never any further. Tomorrow, I might consider trying to chase it from Red Bank to Lakewood (or at least Farmingdale to Lakewood), as it'll be the last time I can chase CR anywhere close to where I live.
2. Going off of 1, what crossings does the Southern cross that I should be aware of? And how long does the train take between each crossing?
3. Going off of 1 and 2, what time should CR be running on the Southern tomorrow?

As we start to see CR wrap up, I've been looking through some of the older posts here. It's pretty wild to me that this thread has been around for damn near 20 years, and it's even wilder to me that there were apparently 4 or 5 Southern Secondary threads before this one! That means some had to be going back to the 90s even. Does anyone have any links for those, if there are any left?

Also, who was OCTrainGuy? I know some people have linked to his site in the past, but it seems like his site https://octrainguy.com/ is having issues, as going to it seems to take you to an advertisement for gambling in a different country.
 #1601033  by Bracdude181

Chasing the train is fairly simple. You start off at one road, seeing either most of the train or all of it. Then you go to crossing further down, getting there before the train does, and film it. Repeat for as long you like. Bring something to eat if you don’t plan on stopping anywhere to buy something.

2. There’s a whole lot of crossings on this line. You’ll have to plan your route if you don’t know the area. I say start off in Red Bank, then go to either Sycamore Ave or Maxwell Rd. I suggest leaving for the next road before the last train car crosses so you don’t get blocked/stuck in traffic.

3. It should be business as usual today. South Amboy at 3 PM, Red Bank between 4 and 5. Only question is the return run and when that’s happening.
 #1601073  by Bracdude181

Todays power will be CSXT 4405 leading with CSXT 6228 trailing. The engines are elephant style today.

A fitting end. 4405 is a longtime veteran of this line.
 #1601089  by Bracdude181

A Conrail blue sign has been added to 4405 saying “Conrail Southern Secondary Final Run”

With logos of Conrail, NS, CSX, CNJ, and C&D on it.